Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

Re: Dawn Patrol Build

Nice! Welcome.....keep the pictures coming. The rest of the "Dawn Patrol" conversion should be interesting

Very cool dog, glad you rescued him!

For diesel heaters, do a search here for Espar.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Site Team

I'm looking forward to hearing your trip reports when you get on the road. Let me know when you are getting close to Vegas.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #13

@Ryan, thanks I've seen their write up before and looking back at it now it doesn't look like the contour is substantial enough to matter. I should be able to move it as high as possible.

I'm trying to avoid appliances and the countertop from covering the window, like pictured below. It's a real pet peeve of mine.

@Bronco, that's seriously the best dog I've ever met in my life. Super chill temperament. I'm really missing him. Sucks having a dog your whole life, forced to go 6 years without one, finally get one for a few weeks, then have to go 2 months without him.

@boywonder, I knew about espar I just have to research for the particular model I need. I am thinking about getting one that heats water too so I can keep the number of things to buy to a minimal.

I'm trying to research all the A/V stuff today. I need a head unit that has a knob for the volume, satellite radio ready, and one that can support 2 cameras with storage of some sort for recording. I can't think of much else I'll need in the actual head unit. I don't want a stand alone camera system. I'm trying to eliminate multiple screens on my dash.

I think I'm just gonna run nav through google maps and waze. Typically you can link a cell with the HU to run it through that. I'm going to have 6 speakers, but running the back 4 through an amp. I can't think of any other things I'd HAVE to have. Any suggestions?
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbait

I'm trying to avoid appliances and the countertop from covering the window, like pictured below. It's a real pet peeve of mine.

I used a vessel sink to keep the counter top low and allow access to open the window (I have a window van):

The sink was about $100 at Home Depot Online.
2003 Honda Element
Old 06-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #15

My dad was nice enough to help me out and put the driverside seat in and all the door rubbers.

I think I found the dirtbike holder that I'm going to get. The Ultimate MX Hauler. I just need to wait for the aluminess stuff to come in. Then I can see about positioning it for the height and distance to clear the tire/box.

I pulled the trigger on a cheap fridge and microwave from Home Depot.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
Site Team

If the door seals are too loose (can let in a lot of dust if you're heading West), see this thread to reinforce them.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/59374 ... he-ex.html

Did this on my Excursion, and it helped a lot.

Herb
Old 06-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #17

I'm not sure what your electrical plans are (sorry if I missed it above!), but please note that your fridge selection is a 110V only. This means that you will need to be running your inverter full time to power your fridge if you aren't on shore power - feasible, but not ideal. I looked at the specs but couldn't find what the power usage of this unit was. If you search 'dorm fridge' here you will probably find more information on this setup.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #18

Gatorbait: Check these fridges out; they are a great value for 12V fridges with real compressors.

http://www.truckfridge.com/store/index.html
2003 Honda Element
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 AM   #19

Those are some nice looking seats! Mind if I ask where you scored those at?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
I'm not sure what your electrical plans are (sorry if I missed it above!), but please note that your fridge selection is a 110V only. This means that you will need to be running your inverter full time to power your fridge if you aren't on shore power - feasible, but not ideal. I looked at the specs but couldn't find what the power usage of this unit was. If you search 'dorm fridge' here you will probably find more information on this setup.
What are the disadvantages of having the inverter on all the time? I tried to cancel the fridge but their live chat isn't working, I can't call, and they already processed it before seeing my email. Ugh that sticker shock though. I plan on doing a bit of over kill on the solar setup because I'm hoping to not use propane at all. I still need to see how much power an induction cooker draws. I'll probably have to get a little grill though during winter when the panels will be covered in snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoventurer
Those are some nice looking seats! Mind if I ask where you scored those at?
Ebay