Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Deavers Vs. Benz springs

I've been giving a little thought to replacing the leaf springs on my van. The van has a pretty soft ride now, which I like up to the point where it leans to far in the corners. The current springs are the stock ones that Advanced installed during the conversion 20 years ago.

I've heard both good and bad about Deavers. I like their concept of a more progressive spring allowing for a smoother ride. I don't really know much about the Benz springs. The big advantage of the Benz springs is their location. They are about a 30 minute drive away from me. I can and will drive down there and talk to them in person. This is a big plus for me when dealing with my non standard vehicle. It gets pretty confusing trying to explain what I've actually got over the phone with people.

I would like to improve the cornering ability of the van without sacraficing to much of the softness. I'm not sure if that is a reasonable goal or not. I don't have any sway bars on the van as it sits now. That is something else I'd like to change.

I know Carringb has done business with Benz before and can probably help answer some of my quesitons. Does anyone else on the list have any experiences with Benz spring company in Portland Oregon?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Deavers Vs. Benz springs

They levelled out my E150 in 1990, were very good to work with.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

I was told there is a company in Oregon that can do springs as well as Deaver for way less money.
Didn't do it yet, not reached definitive weight.
Don't have the name neither...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

I haven't looked into them for my van yet, but they have made us springs for out F650s in the fleet.

For increasing roll stiffness, I would to sway bars. I added a Hellwig Class C motorhome bar, and the '09 front axle improved front stiffness. Where I see Benz coming into play is making a set of long-travel, high leaf-count springs that ride smooth, like Deavers. I'm pretty sure Benz would come it much cheaper based on my experience with them.

PS - I'm also running Les Schwab Monotube shocks. Great ride and control. But short life. So about every 20,000 miles Schwab's sticks on a new set (no charge of course). But I'm also running primitive roads with a full load (12,000+ pounds on the van alone) and sometimes at highway speeds. It occasionally catches some air. Sometimes on purpose. But usually not.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #5

Can't beat the location. At least go ask them what they can do for your van!

The spring shop that installed my Deavers swore they could have made them, Deavers' benefit is they are familiar with the van (so sight unseen out of state it's the way to go)

Then again back in 2000 I had my XJ springs rearched and the shop put cut-off dumptruck leaves in without checking with me. Not that it was terrible, but not what I wanted either.