Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
I posted interior pics in my HellBetty album, can't get multiple photos uploaded in threads yet
Just copy the BBcode link below the pictures in your album and paste the links in your thread....as many as you want...

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #32

Garage
I'd give it some time with those coils, I've never ran them before but with MGs kit I put super stiff coils in and now that they've been drivin for almost 2k miles they feel a lot better.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #33

Last weekend I laid out interior measurements on my dining room floor with tape to plan out interior build. I wanted to see what I could store under a platform bed with access hatches a/o pullout design. My camping gear is already streamlined since I am used to traveling in a Honda. Will buy material this weekend.

TRIP INFO: Then I took HellBetty on a 2-day maiden voyage down to the southern part of WV to visit an old FS fire tower in Jefferson NF (WV-VA-TN) A group now maintains it for raptor migration counts. I got up there before dark Tuesday but was not quite sure about it so ended up going to a nearby state park to camp. In the morning I went back up and met people replacing railing and floorboards on the tower and running raptor counts. They told me no one camping up there has had problems, good community of farms in the vicinity. It was spectacular! Someone put a set of Swarovski binoculars in my hands to use and when I heard I would need $3000 to buy a pair of my own I almost dropped them- lol. Now when there is a purchase to consider I compare it to the cost of this or that I would like to buy for HellBetty Someone asked if I was the one in the 'big black van" camping the night before, so HellBetty already has a rep clear across the state.

I did not expect to stay long, but spent the morning because it draws you in. Especially breathtaking were 'kettles' or 'boils' of 24-30 broadwings in one group catching thermals. We also got counts on bald eagles, one osprey who snuck up on us travelling by. Good conversation with people from the southern part of the state.

From there I headed back north on 219, what is literally a Civil War Trail with the old farms and buildings to match. I decided to cut through a high area on 150 on my way home to scout camping spots in southern portion of Monongahela NF (WV). My original plan was to stay a second night up there but I had delays leaving town, so only out 1 night. It was a scenic drive on a ridgeline road and I saw several clusters of camps set up. I had forgotten that bear season started last weekend so it's just as well I could not stay longer. I walked up to an overlook above the road and heard one dog get started baying, then two together like they had just gotten something treed. Back on the road I talked to some hunters pulled over and found out how to find the access road I was looking for. One bear had been seen crossing the high road we were on... there were already 3 dogs running, and two of the trucks had crates with snouts poking out. At first all you see is are snouts, but when you get close there are pairs of eyes piercing deep into your soul, each pleading "I need to be out too and there is a good reason you should let me!"

HellBetty didn't seem so high among the lifted trucks in the hills. Got home way after dark again, already deciding when to go back and happy to have seen some new country and meet folks there.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #34

HELLBETTY INFO: In spite of being lots of miles in a short time, it was a productive trip. The comment that I should drive her a while before deciding on changing tires was right. She still bobs along on the interstate where there is segmented concrete pavement. Driving all those miles on the winding 2-lanes REALLY brought out the feel of the new RIP shocks and springs, though! I swear she handles better after running all the components together- if that even makes sense? Also from the cutback roads I was on I don't think I could use bigger tires without mods on the fenders. I am more concerned about adding the right spare and maybe some recovery gear. (Edit: meaning, basic safety equip. Clearly I won't be rock hopping in this particular van)

There is tons of skill on this forum and I know mine won't have near the professional looking results I have seen here, but It was good to do a trial run camping with HellBetty to further develop my layout.

There are several good 4x4 conversions to choose from. John told me at Agile they like a Quigley because it is a good product and they always know what they have to work with for the RIP..... God bless American innovation!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #35

Well following my cornfield boondock, I picked up my purchase and arrived home late last night with a full load of lumber/ materials. HellBetty rides much smoother on the highway with a nice load in the back! Today I'm going to look for a bay to rent for month or two to work on her. I rent 2-3 floors in a 1900's house and my 'garage' is a tiny bay in a 1920's alley garage. It flooded during rains until someone fixed a downspout recently. Zero lighting and no electric so long extension cords needed Not the best work space.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #36

I am envious of y'all's SW van adventures and can't wait to visit there too. But cornfield boondock reminded me that you can't beat southern ohio certain times of year for sky watching and relaxing. While growing up I spent many days in southern Ohio and Indiana creeks and shiny emerald cornfields and there are no lusher places on earth.... One of those flyover states (of mind) that Jason Aldean sings about
http://youtu.be/W1GZzucDMlQ
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #37

Garage
These vans definitely settle down more when the back end has some weight. I couldn't believe how comfy it was when I was bringing back my 55 gallon gas tank, just like a pickup though.

I love seeing everything you have going on and can't believe your live/work space situation. Maybe I have too much!

I have only been to Ohio once and actually learned how to drive a "three on the tree" while I was there. It was pretty though and from what I remember a lot of hills.

Keep getting out there for the rest of us! That old fire tower being used as a watch tower is super cool, I will have to make my way down there to check that out one day.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #38

I am working on shop drawings for convertible bed/storage design.

Going to price flooring next but electrical needs not certain yet. I have four auxiliary switches and it'd be a shame not to at least take advantage of them. (I don't even understand those yet because I got distracted by road trip to some wilderness areas before hunting season kicks in here- priorities, right?).

I discovered last week I am done with keeping a cooler stocked so would like a fridge freezer and some sort of a fan in back at the very least. Will price the 'Fantastic' type products.

I have an XLT passenger and don't plan to tear up the walls and headliner. Keeping overall design low profile with no cabinets, just under bed/seating storage. I feel at a disadvantage because I have not actually SEEN any camping vans in person....

So my next planning question is: can cables even be run under a flush floor?

Or can I lay my floor and plan on cable trays/conduit along base of walls?
Thanks for input.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #39

My opinion is that it's best to keep all your wiring where you can get to it and to leave yourself accessible areas to run new wiring when you upgrade your stuff. I wouldn't run stuff under my floor as I don't ever want to have to tear it up to look for a bad wire or whatever.

The Ford wiring runs from the dash under the drivers sill plate, up the column, then above the windows and will T down to whatever is back there. Since you are keeping the factory interior, you have built in raceways.

As far as your upfitter auxiliary switches, ford has wiring diagrams for those depending on year. Look for the Electrical and make sure you are looking at E series on the diagrams.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #40

Agree with Flux.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote