Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #1

Dirt Meet HellBetty

Going to put my random musings here instead of junking up other people's threads with my blah blah blahs. Have owned my e350 v10 quigley for 3 weeks now. However I have had a crunch time of biz and family matters so not been able to get out of town with it much. Last week my RIP kit was installed so I will post some picks of the new height soon. Wow! As mentioned elsewhere, yesterday I was sitting in second row seat writing down interior measurements, my pencil rolled into open barn door step and I almost fell out of it trying to get the pencil. Doh!

This should be my last week of matters keeping me stuck in town. Meantime I am measuring interior and planning out build. That will need to be economical for now because cost of van + tire upgrade+ AOR RIP kit + install has used about all my fun money for this year. Next priority I think will be a spare to match tires with exterior mount. That should eat up another $800+ .... Rough guesstimate.

Ready for another nearby close creek crawl area later this week! First bow season starts the 23rd tho so planning around that to stay out of the wilderness until window of opportunity. Last year was spectacular in WV!

Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

Reposing from Jsweezy's question on another thread: a 4WD van seems to be an anomaly around here! I have heard several references to exactly ONE other one, also a black E350 but it was mounted on a 4x4 truck chassis... Generally no one knows what to think when they see her!while driving slow laps past a lodge to get my 2yo grandson to sleep for a nap last week I heard one man in a wedding party (I think the groom) say -"A 4WD drive, that's a beautiful sight!" Not sure the bride appreciated it as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Awesome! Glad to hear your getting everything smoothed out.

So who snitched about the van?! Ha ha, how does the government find such things out anyway?
nobody snitched it's just that everyone is afraid of her around here! My regular mechanic Gary looked scared when he saw her after my RIP kit and informed me she is now OFFICIALLY modified (like quigley ain't?) and sent me to a deisel/towing shop next. I took her there for inspection yesterday and she passed but it was dicey since a license plate bulb needed replacing. Lol WHEW.

Anyhow everyone at the diesel towing shop called me Ma'am (I love that). Here is the typical scene when I take her anywhere: 2 men will walk around her, one will say nothing but keep coming back around and the second will stop in his tracks and say something like "HUH that is a BIG van you have there!" Whereupon I will explain she is not even big compared to ones my forum friends have out on the Left Coast and how we need more 4wd vans here.... Then he will look underneath and fall back to his original comment of "That sure is a BIG van you have there"... OH a third man will walk past and pretend he is not looking.

The young man doing the inspection tried to act aloof but I noticed he took her out for a VERY long road test. He and I did agree that trying to get any specific info from the state of WV is not worth holding your breath for. Then he challenged me with the announcement that she needs brakes 'soon' I told him I'm aware of that and WHEN would he say they're needed? -6 months or so- which is the same as what the mechanic doing my pre-inspection told me.

I wanted to get a picture there but I paid then suddenly the young man was backing her into the busy two-lane (Rt 40) while another man flagged truck traffic to a stop just as a large tow truck was waiting to pull into their narrow lot... So I had to skedaddle as suddenly there was a lot going on! So they stopped traffic for me and my big van, HellBetty. Later I was sitting in the second row seat with the door open writing down some interior measurements and dropped my pencil. I leaned over as the pencil went into the side door well and I almost fell out- haha that there is a big van I guess!

She had new front brakes and u joint when I bought her... I wonder now if rear brakes on a Quigley are out of the ordinary?
Annie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
I wonder now if rear brakes on a Quigley are out of the ordinary?
You West Virginians have some weird things going on!

Rear Quigley brakes are stock.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Hi Annie O, since I've owned my 4x4 diesel van I've had similar interactions with folks. One thing I wasn't expecting when I bought it was how it seems to make people smile and say hello. Unlike the fire breathing Subaru I drive daily, that thing everybody seems to be angry around it. Yup, everybody seems to love a van. Enjoy it.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Garage
i enjoy your blah, blah, blah's scattered around good to see you enjoying your toy. brings back all our early memories when we first got ours. i get lots of comments, but the comments my wife gets when she drive it are way better. your posts are right in line with her experiences. keep it coming, its entertaining to me

oh, and love the hellbetty name!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
"A 4WD van seems to be an anomaly around here!"<cut> Generally no one knows what to think when they see her! while driving slow laps past a lodge to get my 2yo grandson to sleep for a nap last week I heard one man in a wedding party (I think the groom) say -"A 4WD drive, that's a beautiful sight!" Not sure the bride appreciated it as much
Annie, I always get a kick out of these kinds of threads and I'll bet you'll start hearing more comments about your ride... like all the time!
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...y-ego-987.html

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

Did the inspection guy look at the brake pads? kind of hard to guess how much brakes you've got left any other way...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Garage
Love the reply! And ya, I'm sure as a women driving around such a beast people have all kinds of things to say. Heck, I'd come and see what's going on too!

Being in a wheelchair and having one of these vans seems very similar to what you experience. My favorite thing to do is watch people try to act like they aren't watching me get in and out. And I love parking in a handicapped spot and watching the older folks mean mug me until I throw my chair out and hop down, then they just seem confused.

Glad your enjoying it and I'm looking forward to more pictures!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Yeah it's pretty crazy going from a 2wd white pervert van to a 4x4 beast - hardly got any comments before the conversion, now I find myself almost repeating the same paragraph to people who stop and ask about it. It's all fun though!
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

Garage
Ha ha, gotta love how as soon as it's lifted its no longer able to be perverted.

I always feel obligated when people say, "sweet lift on the van" to make sure they realize it's not just a "lift" and than its 4wd.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote