Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
DIY gaucho structure and upholstery??

I was curious as to WHAT exactly the gaucho seat was made out of? .... Just what exactly is used to make it comfortable and durable?

I know there are many different types of upholstery and bed foam out there. What kind of foam is inside these seats?

Is it simply a certain thickness (one layer) of foam covered with a fabric?

I've also read that sometimes two different kinds of foam are used: a stiffer "base layer" that's put down first, then covered with a softer foam for comfort....

Then, what sort of fabric is used to cover the foam?

And how is the whole thing attached to the structure (plywood probably)? Adhesive of some sort? Mechanical fasteners?

I'm curious because I'm considering making my own bed platform for not only my minivan-to-RV project, but possibly changing the seating in my minivan in a way, and also (when the time is right) doing a few things myself for my Sportsmobile.

What kind of structure is the gaucho made of? Is it all wood attached to the floor? Is it a metal frame structure? A combination? I'm guessing there are standards from the RVIA pertaining to passenger seating and seatbelts?

Has anyone done their own upholstery project for their RV? Where'd you get the materials? More importantly, WHAT kind of foam and fabric did you get? Why did you choose that?

Thanks for any input!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Wow... where do I start?

Our Gaucho is built using what looks like a specially designed mechnism that allows the couch seat cushion to pull out from the a wall and allows the couch back to be lower into the space opened up and thus also be part of the bed mattress.

There are also two legs that drop down from under the couch seat cushion to create supports for the outer edge of the mattress.

The same mechanism allows the couch seat cushion to be raised to allow access to the area under the gaucho (where we have the large fresh water tank, our diesel furnace, our inverter, circuit breaker boxes and more located).

Another leg is placed to where it can be folded down to support for the couch cushion when it is raised for access under the gaucho.

There are also stops so that the couch seat cushion stays in place when cushion is in place as part of the couch.

There is also a depression in the wall so that a bed extension cushion (or something else) can be store out of the way.

The couch back cushion is held in place with a small snap-like connector at one end.

There is a pop-up shelf behin the driver's seat to extend the length of the bed when that is needed.

There are three sides to a box made of wood that make part of the couch support.

I do not know what the makeup of the cushion foam is made up of.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #3

Wow! Awesome reply. Thank you.

You wouldn't happen to know off-hand who has photos of this type of thing, would you?

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 11-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I will be spending the day at a Thanksgiving Day Football Game tailgate party tomorrow, with McBeast, so I may be able to get you some shots.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #5

That would be very kind of you. Thank you.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #6

Cushion is dual density foam; 3" thick firm foam base, with a 1 1/2" thick soft foam top layer. They are glued together.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #7

That's good to know. Thank you for that info!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #8

The bottom cushion is also set up like an old style spring bed, sort of. There are steel band running the width of the bottom cushion on the bottom. Haven't paid a ton of attention, but guessing the bands are to keep tension on the cover and provide support to the works, while allowing some springiness too. Its a wonderful setup.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #9

Great info everyone. Thank you!

If anyone gets a few minutes to take/post photos of these items, it would be much appreciated!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_delaware
Great info everyone. Thank you!

If anyone gets a few minutes to take/post photos of these items, it would be much appreciated!
I want to make it clear that everybody building out, modifying or remaking Sportsmobiles or vans is welcome here and all the information we garner from the DIYers is both fascinating and educational.

However, I can't support public deconstruction of the Sportsmobile product for the sole purpose of duplicating their work- improving it, replacing missing parts, fixing and understanding are all acceptable, but as distribution template for duplication I would appreciate it if you did not use the public forum.

Thanks for understanding, feel free to PM me if you have questions or concerns.