Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

DIY Ground up, off the grid, solar powered, seating for passengers!

Hey guys.

I've got my van basically where I want it. There are always upgrades I'd like to make but those are just luxuries. I I threw together I quick runthru of it. If you'd like to see more, or have questions, comment on the YouTube page and let me know. I may make more videos if people show interest. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/t5bws_Ex0o0

BlairB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Here's what the van looks like when fully loaded for a coast line road trip. This was prior to my solar panels being secured down. They were tied on the cam straps here. Worked actually really well but would rattle with freeway winds.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Tip of the Day: if you stumble across a massive field of wheat during a road trip, stop and take pictures with the van. So awesome!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

This is how I secured my solar set up. Best part is, it fit side by side! 2nd best part, no drilling, welding, or fabricating of any kind required! And last best part, it's done!

If I could make one change, I'd have a full size roof rack so these could fit further forward leaving me more open roof rack space for kayaks. Reason why I didn't...I got this roof rack for a great deal. DIY vans are all about great deals..

Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

It looks like your cross bars are covering some of the cells which will cut the output more than you think. Could you mount the panels on top of the cross bars? Otherwise it looks great.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairB View Post
I really enjoyed the video. Nice work!
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #7

Garage
Nice build! A little more info on how shadows kill solar output.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It looks like your cross bars are covering some of the cells which will cut the output more than you think. Could you mount the panels on top of the cross bars? Otherwise it looks great.
Thanks for checking it out. To clarify, it's bars I installed over the panel which are lying on the roof rack. They're installed the same way ski racks hold skis and boards in place. I just found it easiest and secure without drilling and getting too complex.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
Nice build! A little more info on how shadows kill solar output.

Well crap. After seeing that, I had no idea it was that bad. Does it make a difference between monocrystalline vs poly and how they function?
Old 03-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairB View Post
Well crap. After seeing that, I had no idea it was that bad. Does it make a difference between monocrystalline vs poly and how they function?
Unfortunately it doesn't matter. The cells in a module are all connected in series. Shading a single cell causes the current in the string of cells to fall to the level of the shaded cell. I'm guessing you are never getting more than 2-3 amps, have you checked your solar controller when it is sunny?

Tags
carseat kids baby family