Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Garage
Propane tank installation with access door Made the plunge

I decided to go ahead and get the propane tank and access door, THEN figure out how to cut the hole and mount the tank. Not to mention how to seal up the rocker panel.

Here is the tank. Since it will be accessed from the side through the door, the valves are pointed horizontally instead of angled down like many tanks. It also has a shorter tank protection plate than standard tanks, so I won't have to cut it off. It even has a nice rubber trim piece around the edge of the protection plate.

The access door is very nice and was quite reasonably priced. It is made out of a fairly tough and hard thermosetting resin (plastic) which can be painted to match the van. The frame is curved to match the curve of the van body. The hinge pin and latches appear to be stainless steel. It doesn't have a gasket for the door, but I might add something to prevent any rattles.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #12

Re: DIY Propane tank installation with access door help need

Where did you get the access door?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #13

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
Where did you get the access door?
Phone order from Sportsmobile West. Also got the tank, regulator, and regulator cover there.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

Ok... I'll find one somewhere else... Not giving them another dime, after discovering one f-up after another...
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #15

I just finished my install two weeks ago with an older manchester tank. My filler is much lower on the tank than the one you used. It turns out Manchester makes two different versions of the tank. My tank is the 10 x 32 and when mounter only hangs down about 1/2" lower than the body. I ended up cutting about 2" out of the rocked panel so need for a door. Im totally happy with the install but for some reson the gauge stopped working on the tank.
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogdave
I just finished my install two weeks ago with an older manchester tank. My filler is much lower on the tank than the one you used. It turns out Manchester makes two different versions of the tank. My tank is the 10 x 32 and when mounter only hangs down about 1/2" lower than the body. I ended up cutting about 2" out of the rocked panel so need for a door. Im totally happy with the install but for some reson the gauge stopped working on the tank.
Did you seal up the void between the inner and outer rocker panel? Any pictures???

The guages are mechanical floats. It might be bent or hung up. The indicator dial can be replaced separate from the float which is inside the tank. Manchester has the parts.