Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
evy

DIY rear storage box (see video)

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my very first DIY camper conversion, using a 2010 extended Ford E250.

I want to add a rear storage box similar to the ones that Aluminess make but I don't want to change the whole bumper anyways it's way out of my budget.

Instead of posting drawings and trying to put in writing what's in my head I decided to make a video.

https://youtu.be/l0A9FNbgVqg

Tell me what you think guys.
Thanks for any help!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
evy

Here's more details on the construction of the box itself that I didn't mention in the video.

The lower and higher compartments would be separated by a sealed shelf that would seal with a rubber gasket on the door when closed.

I said 3/16" thickness but I'm not sure of that maybe it's 1/8"?

The lower compartment would be lined with soundproof material on the inside, with vented air intake/exhaust and the generator would be mounted on a baseplate fited onto 4 vibration pads with springs (used for small hvac equipment, under 100lbs)
The main idea is to hardwire the generator to the transfer switch with an extension and take advantage of the remote start feature when ever I need it, without getting out or setting anything up.

The higher compartment would also be vented near the bottom of the shelf with four 2" diam holes with wire mesh,
I already have an LP gas tank under the van this would be an extra tank I would hook up to with a 4 way tee I added specifically for that purpose and yes I would remove it from the box when using it, it would only be in there for transportation purposes, it would sit at least 30" above the rear bumper or 50" above the ground so unless being rear ended by an 18 wheeler I don't think it would take a direct impact. I hope this complies with DOT regulations, I will check with Canadian laws (fingers crossed)

Remember that van's door would be closed almost all the time, if I were to open it for whatever reason, I would support it and close it back immediately. the weight I guestimated at 250/300lbs would rest on the rear bumper.

I hope this helps clarify things.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

A few thoughts:

A: Is this box made of aluminum? I sure hope so, a 3/16 steel box of those dimensions will weigh at least 175lbs. If steel, 16ga would be more than adequate.

2: At your projected weight, that is ALOT of weight to hang on those hinges. your latches, door skin, and welds will be working tripletime to hold together.

I wouldnt want to hang more that 100-150lbs total off that door, and even then...

By the way, do you have photos of your van? from the vid, it looks extremely tall. What kind of top is on that thing? looks like the van was cut in half and a custom top half added? very cool.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by expeditionnw View Post
A few thoughts:

A: Is this box made of aluminum? I sure hope so, a 3/16 steel box of those dimensions will weigh at least 175lbs. If steel, 16ga would be more than adequate. Aluminum, I said 3/16" in the video but it's way too thick, I'm having it made by an HVAC company, they'll tell me what gauge it needs to be. I'm also reducing the depth from 17" to 13".

2: At your projected weight, that is ALOT of weight to hang on those hinges. your latches, door skin, and welds will be working tripletime to hold together. I know I'm putting around 100lbs in the box, I was guessing the weight of the box. The way I see it the full weight will be on the bumper, the bolts in the door will only keep the box from tilting backwards/forward when driving/stopping.

I wouldnt want to hang more that 100-150lbs total off that door, and even then...

By the way, do you have photos of your van? from the vid, it looks extremely tall. What kind of top is on that thing? looks like the van was cut in half and a custom top half added? very cool.
Here's the photobucket of my build, I have not seen many of them on the road, the high top is made of fiberglass.
evy-74's Library | Photobucket
Old 06-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
evy

[QUOTE=expeditionnw;176652]A few thoughts:

A: Is this box made of aluminum? I sure hope so, a 3/16 steel box of those dimensions will weigh at least 175lbs. If steel, 16ga would be more than adequate. Aluminum, I said 3/16" in the video but it's way too thick, I'm having it made by an HVAC company, they'll tell me what gauge it needs to be. I'm also reducing the depth from 17" to 13".

2: At your projected weight, that is ALOT of weight to hang on those hinges. your latches, door skin, and welds will be working tripletime to hold together. I know I'm putting around 100lbs in the box, I was guessing the weight of the box. The way I see it the full weight will be on the bumper, the bolts in the door will only keep the box from tilting backwards/forward when driving/stopping.

Here's the photobucket of my build, I have not seen many of them on the road, the high top is made of fiberglass.
evy-74's Library | Photobucket
Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
evy

Just stumbled on this picture from 86Scotty.
His box is bolted the door, not resting on the bumper at all, the size and weight seems very similar (my box would be as tall as his 3 jerry cans).
I sent him a message to see if he had any issues (fingers crossed).

Sportsmobile Forum - 86Scotty's Album: 86Scotty - Picture