Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #61

Re: Dookie

Can't wait for a full pictorial review of the shocks!!

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Looky at what brown santa brought:
That beer is only half full! What kinda cheap Santa is that?

Brent
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #63

Quote:
That beer is only half full! What kinda cheap Santa is that?
Brent
A THIRSTY Santa (who has to pay his own credit card bills - boo!)! While I did accidently kick the glass over while installing one of the shocks, I'm happy to report it was already empty.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #64

A few little tidbits to update, but unfortunately no real photos (I know, shame on me). I got the Bilsteins installed and must say that it is a notable difference and money well spent. Much better control over bumps and through corners as well.

After a super dusty trip on some backroads we discovered how badly we needed to get the door seals replaced - much nicer with that done.

I also finally hooked up the solar panel. We are starting with just a single 85w panel which should help prolong the stay while being in the comfortable state of charge zone with the batteries - not sure that I will be able to make up 100% of my usage with that input, especially as the days grow shorter. The biggest challenge I've found so far is that many of our camp spots are well into the shade which doesn't do squat for charging! My mounting system is pretty simple - two L brackets that mount over the existing penthouse attachment bolts and some industrial velcro. I can take off two nuts, disconnect the two wires and pop the panel off if needed (like if I wanted to park in the garage).

The most important thing is that even though it is always a work in progress the family is loving the van and it really makes it easy to get out. Just this past weekend my (not quite) two year old daughter looked out the window of the house and spotted the van. She immediately asked to go outside to the van to hang out. That's a good sign!

The most recent fuel mileage checks have been closer to 12.5 mpg, but that is pulling some decent grades and/or spending more time above 55mph that I need to. If/When I need tires I will likely move from the 35" MT's to a 33" AT to cut down on tire drag and noise as well as gain a bit more clearance for getting in the garage.

Mostly as a reminder to myself, this is a list of projects I hope to work on more in the coming months:
- safety lock out switch for the overdrive unit (for 4wd use)
- timer circuit for the manual glowplug button
- better engine/cab soundproofing & insulation
- steps for getting in the side slider door
- upholster the penthouse beds - I think we have the right combo of foam now.
- rear license plate lights
- rear box for grill, wood, etc.
- roof rack?
- combo moto + bike rack setup