Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #1

Dynamat, Reflectix and other general interior questions...

Hi all! Gonna start getting ready to do some work on the cargo van transformation (I'll start a new thread once I actually start the work) and wanted to ask a few general questions before I go out and buy all the wrong crap. I have a clean slate to work with, no windows or interior except the aluminum diamond plate that it came with that will probably be removed. Is it a good idea to put Dynamat and Reflectix throughout the whole van or are there only certain areas I should concentrate on? I saw some one's build thread where Reflectix was installed throughout except the ceiling because he was waiting for the PH top to be installed. Also, which goes down first? Dynamat or Reflectix? Is it also a good idea to stuff insulation in the large voids in the doors and certain areas in the sides (except the driver side if you have rear ac from what I've read)? Is there anything that needs to be ran like wiring before they're laid on top of the sheet metal or can the wiring be put on top before the finished walls go up? Final question, which type of Reflectix is everyone installing? The double reflective foil? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Allen

SMBnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

Re: Dynamat, Reflectix and other general interior questions...

Allen,

Many threads here about insulation, as well as over at the Sprinter Forums(Sprinter Source). I've done a ton of reading on the subject, and here are some conclusions I've formed:

-Stay away from anything that holds water, like fiberglass, cotton, jute, etc(especially if you live in humid/wet environments)
-Dynamat is going to cost a ton
-Reflectix seems to work well, though many question it's actual R-value
-If you have the $$, check out some of the spray on insulations, like Lizard Skin as the "first coat" in insulation. You can then Dynamat/Second Skin/Reflectix over it.
-Check out Second Skin Audio for more products(again, $$)
-Also check out http://www.enguardinsulation.com/ This is what I plan on using in my build, along with second skin/dynamat in certain areas

Typically, you see many builders insulating, wiring, then sheeting the sides and ceiling of the van.

Hope that helps!
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I know Dynamat is kind of pricey but luckily I have a buddy (Best Buy employee) that can hook me up with some so it's not as hard of a hit to the wallet. Slickdeals also has a couple coupon codes (PM me if you want the codes) for Lowe's right now that are for $10 off $25 purchases so a roll of 2x25 double foil Reflectix comes out to $18.71 with free in store pick up if anyone is interested. I'm breaking it down to 6 orders to take full advantage. Worst case scenario, I can return it if I decide to go with something else.

Allen
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

You might also look into a product by Low-E. I found this distributor's website and they seem to have good prices. It actually works out to be about the price of reflectix on Home Depot's website. I saw prices for a 2' x 100' roll of reflectix at about $140+shipping. And a 4' x 120' (the have smaller rolls) is $225+shipping. The difference is the Low-E product passes all the safety stuff for autos and is closed cell foam enclosed in aluminum verses the bubble foil in reflectix.

they will send you a free sample if you ask for it.
http://www.lobucrod.com/
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

Man, I was almost sure that I was gonna go with Dynamat and Reflectix but after checking out Low-E, I must say its got me thinking. Does anyone have any experience with both? There's not too much info on Low-E online and the search feature here didn't return any results. How good are the sound deadening qualities? How does it stack up to Dynamat? What about the insulating properties vs.Reflectix?

Thanks,
Allen
Old 12-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

Remember, reflectix needs a space on one side (I forget exactly how much but it was pretty large, like 1/4-1/2) or it will not perform as represented. I think it is just wasted in a typical sandwich type install (like under the floor).
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Lobucrud is polyethylene foam, known to offgas heavily. Check this out:

http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/ ... _ch057.pdf

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #8

I used a product called QuietRide that is designed for autos. It comes in a kit for the van that includes insulation and some Dynamat along with everything you need including instructions. You have to ask for the flooring portion if you want that because they assume most folks with cargo vans are carrying cargo and don't need the flooring section. It even has insulation for the dog house.

I also provided them the dimensions for my bubble top and had them make a custom kit for that as well to make sure the van is well insulated. Very nice stuff and well put together as a kit. My installer said it was pretty easy to do the install.
http://www.quietride.com/
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBnoob
How does it stack up to Dynamat?
Low-E compares to Reflectix, probably like Coke to Pepsi. Dynamat on the other hand is potato salad.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I beleive you were looking at my thread of the Reflectix in my Chevy Express. I used it because it was cheap and easy to install then I used Jute over that then Plywood and carpet over that I really like the way it seems to be working it is super quite in the van. as for temp the coldest I have camped was 15 and I was cold but it was 15. I have a heater and I use it. Im happy and better than that my wife is happy. I think the biggest thing is just do a good job and dont cut any corners and what ever you use will work good.
Please post Pictures

Ron