Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 03:22 AM   #1

Question Dynamat then Reflectix then Thinsulate - ?

Hi all

Sound and thermal control - the best approach.

Looking to maybe buy a van (likely 2019 or 2020 Transit) and hire a company to do a minimal build in. I dont have the time or the skills to do it.

I’m researching the best way to dampen sound as much as possible, and also thermally keep heat out, and also keep cold out.

How about - From gas pedals to back, Visors to back. B pillars to back.

First (outer) later = Dynamat

plus Reflectix - same areas.

plus 3M Thinsulate - same areas.

Is the Reflectix a good idea?

If I use all three… should the Reflectix be next to the Dynamat ….or should the 3M Thinsulate be next to the Dynamat, with the Reflectix on the inside?

I have read that the Dynamat is a really good option for noise dampening…. does not dry out… works well… but am open to suggestion.

also - is this combo good for both walls + ceiling but also the FLOOR ?

thanks.

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Do the Transit (Gas engine) even make that kind of sound to put so much money in sound insulation? I would think factory sound damping should be good on the new ones. Just my $0.02!
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
Do the Transit (Gas engine) even make that kind of sound to put so much money in sound insulation? I would think factory sound damping should be good on the new ones. Just my $0.02!
Recently I test drove a current Transit 3.5 eco boost cargo van.

The cargo vans (the kind I would get) are bare metal on the walls.... and the sound from behind me, the driver, was substantial - doing a variety of driving.

So in the cargo van, there is zero sound damping in the walls of the cargo area.

I know that Dynamat (and similar) dampen both the vibrations of the metal, and also it dampens sound physically going thru it.

Yes Thinsulate will block some sound, but the advantage of also using Dynamat (or similar) is that as the Dynamat (or similar) will make the interior of the van a bit more quiet when driving, and also when parked.

It makes sense... Dynamat + Thinsulate will create a somewhat quieter interior than just Thinsulate alone.

As to "need" that is a personal choice. I myself want a quieter interior, so I'll pay the $ to have both Thinsulate and Dynamat - as opposed to just Thinsulate, or nothing.

My walls wont be heavy wood - they'll be fabric covered panels or thin wood - to be determined.... so more reason for me to reduce sound more than some might.

thanks

john
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Dynamax will cut out the sound and reduce the tin drum sounds. It must be installed first (as it goes directly on the metal panels. The reflectix could install on the Dynamax next and then add the reflectix. Use a strong (expensive) spray adhesive when installing. Prep the metal panels with a solution of TSP first to open the pours on the paint to get a good bond to the materials and glue. Glossy paint or dust/dirt don’t bond well to the Dynamat.

Yes you need to do the same with the roof and floor. The floor has ribs so you can cut thin strips and double it up in those low spots on the floor. That’s what I did on my floor to even it up before adding 3/4” plywood subfloor over it. It’s very quiet now compared to before.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

I used butyl dampener and then a stickybacked closed cell foam (ensolite) over that, then reflectix where I could. My floor is butyl, then 2 layers of 1/8" ensolite, then plywood and then loncoin. Loncoin is a heavy vinyl, it will eat up sound too.

When my van was empty, I couldn't even talk on the cell phone.

Got my stuff at raamaudio.com
Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Dynamax will cut out the sound and reduce the tin drum sounds. It must be installed first (as it goes directly on the metal panels. The reflectix could install on the Dynamax next and then add the reflectix. Use a strong (expensive) spray adhesive when installing. Prep the metal panels with a solution of TSP first to open the pours on the paint to get a good bond to the materials and glue. Glossy paint or dust/dirt don’t bond well to the Dynamat.

Yes you need to do the same with the roof and floor. The floor has ribs so you can cut thin strips and double it up in those low spots on the floor. That’s what I did on my floor to even it up before adding 3/4” plywood subfloor over it. It’s very quiet now compared to before.
Awesome info -all makes sense.

Do you rememberwhat spray adhesive you used?

Did the adhesive stink / off gas for long? I'd be worried about that.

and

I would be worried that the weight of the floor would compress the Dynamat - ? or did you frame it up to carry the weight?

thanks

john
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I used butyl dampener and then a stickybacked closed cell foam (ensolite) over that, then reflectix where I could. My floor is butyl, then 2 layers of 1/8" ensolite, then plywood and then loncoin. Loncoin is a heavy vinyl, it will eat up sound too.

When my van was empty, I couldn't even talk on the cell phone.

Got my stuff at raamaudio.com
also great info - thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	3m-spray-adhesive-90-24voc40-64_1000.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	22307

3M makes this and other spray adhesives. I bought mine at Home Depot. Works great and keeps heavy vinyls and thick material in place.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Installing Dynamat below the 3/4" plywood.? -
Yes the weight of the 3/4" plywood floor will compress the dynamat so I used some sleepers to keep it from compressing the dynamat and create a slight separation below the plywood.

Odor from the adhesive? -
I have not noticed any offgassing from the adhesive. I recently went on a 5 day trip immediately after using the adhesive to install some carpet headliner in the van hightop. Didn't notice any odor.