Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #11

Tear down started tonight. I have all the pergo and aluminum paneling out.

Did find some water damage from one of the crappy windows. Probably didn't hurt the metal, but got to get that plywood up tomorrow to see.
Attached Thumbnails
van_frame1.jpg  

rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #12

Also, the frame that I've exposed is super robust. I think I will definitely re use that. The top area wastes a lot of space tho. Might need to figure out some use for that space.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #13

E350 2wd Communication Van Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm115 View Post
But it has windows! She said it was all about the weight. That it had to be registered as a work truck basically. It has a truck plate now...

I don’t think that’s right. Ford Club Wagons are usually E350s and can be registered as passenger vehicles in PA. There are specific requirements for windows, which unfortunately my SMB doesn’t meet even though it has some side windows.

Here is the official text from the form linked below. Sounds like the window rule was specifically written for full size OEM passenger vans. “To register as a passenger car - The van/mini-van must be designed with seating for no more than 15 passengers including the driver, and used for non-commercial purposes. The vehicle body type must be listed as a “sedan” or “station wagon” on the application. The van or mini-van must have windows on both sides and in the rear, and may not be separated by opaque areas wider than 12 inches. In addition, the vehicle must not be designed or adapted for use as a mobile dwelling or office.”

See the PENNDOT form at http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ts/fs-vmvt.pdf
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #14

ha, you mean someone at the DMV might have been wrong? Whoa...

Well, that last line might be what stops us from doing what we want unless we get creative... "In addition, the vehicle must not be designed or adapted for use as a mobile dwelling or office.”

I do plan on putting two large windows in and a rear seat, so maybe I can get it re-classified at a later date.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #15

Put the windows in and get it retitled before you do more work.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #16

Leaning towards a transit 2nd row seat in the back and adding at least two of the large windows. Maybe three windows.

Any reason not to do the transit seats with integrated seat belts?

Better place for windows than dicount truck van...?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #17

progress on tear down

Made some progress on tearing down what was in there and hosing everything out. There were layers of dirt in the walls. The frame is pretty stout and I will probably end up re-using it, but I will likely take it off the walls completely so I can put my windows in. I might also have to restructure them for the new, larger conversion van style windows. I did find water damage from a leaky window, but it's not too bad. I will likely bedline the entire floor before I start putting everything back together.

I'm still considering ripping out the ceiling and re-doing the cabinets. The ceiling is nice, but I don't like the lighting, want to go with a cheap LED strip. The cabinets are small individual cabinets and I see some opportunity to make it a bit less restrictive.

I'm also considering one of the under floor storage boxes before I bedline everything. However, my grand idea would have a bed slide covering it all of the time and the only way I would have access to it would be to have a trap door in the bed slide or to slide the bed out and access it from the inside of the van.

Any recommendations for windows? I'd prefer the venting type, but there doesn't seem to be a good fit for this at discountvantruck.com. There rear one yes, but not a middle one?
Attached Thumbnails
20180807_082133.jpg   20180807_082127.jpg   20180807_082136.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnm115 View Post
Better place for windows than dicount truck van...?
Pm member 1der. He can get crl windows cheaper than anyplace I’ve found. The window I bought is really close to the factory sized window directly behind drivers door and looks like it could replace the first 2 of the windows installed in your van if they leak, but you’d have to measure to confirm.

I have a list of other windows that would be really close to the other oem windows in a passenger van as well if you’d like that list to check out. Crl’s site is pretty bad for browsing but they do provide dimensions. There’s another site that sells their windows with better pix, but the sites name escapes me atm.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #19

I've made only a little bit more progress on removing the old ceiling. I also removed the wood cabinets that were both in the front and back in the overhang areas. The cabinets wasted a lot of useful space and were only held in place by the trim around them! I'm glad I'm ripping into this as deep as I am.

The aluminum skeleton wraps around the top of the van as well. But between the skeleton frame and the 3/4" plywood, trim, it's stealing about 3-4" of head clearance that would be nice...

I'm in contact with 1der and need to give him a call now that I have the van in the driveway again. Probably going to replace the first two windows with one of the crank open style, but not sure what to do about the third window...
Attached Thumbnails
van_ceiling.jpg  
Old 08-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #20

I was just out in Harrisburg today. I should have thought to PM you to check out the van!