Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

Has anyone used these: Exide Edge AGM's
EXIDE® Edge™ AGM

http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-s...20edge%20.aspx

I hear good things about them

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #12

Well based on the title of your thread I am assuming you are comparing them to Optimas. I don';t have any experience with the Exides, but I ran Optima Yellow tops in my Tundra and my Last Bronco and really liked them. Then I bought an IS300 that had a brand new one in it when I bought it and the seller gave me the receipt for it, I picked it up in Nashville and was driving it home. I drove for a few hours and as soon as it got dark I noticed my lights dimming and something was not right. I found an Autozone and stopped, they tested it and found it was bad they gave me a new one no questions asked. We found a hotel and left in the morning and about halfway through the day I noticed the volt gauge dropping. I found a Lexus dealer on Google and stopped in. They tested the battery and charging system and said the system was all good but the battery was crap again. There was an Autozone a few blocks away they gave me a loaner car and I went and exchanged it again with no issues. Hit the road and got back to Salt Lake with no issues..... Then a few weeks later I went out to start the car and no juice. We jumped it and I went back to Autozone and again a dead battery. At that point I asked for a store credit and bought a Durlast Gold and never had an issue after that for the 3 years I had the car after that.
All that being said I don't think Optimas are terrible, and they are easy to exchange when you have an issue but I do have a bad taste in my mouth for them and havent tried one since.
The Exide AGM ones are on Amazon and have great reviews, they also offer a 48 month warranty vs Optima Yellow 36 month so that is a plus.

Optima Yellow Top G34 193.30 with 36mo warranty
vs.
Exide Edge FP-AGM34 164.47 with a 48 mo warranty (The case on these looks a lot like the Lifeline batteries that a lot of Overland groups love. That may just be a coincidence not sure.

Well I am glad you put this post up batteries are my next big purchase on my build and I think these may be the way to go. I was going to give Optima a try again but the Exides seem to be the better option, an extra year warranty and 30.00 less. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #13

Garage
imho, optimas went to crap when jci bought them out. I had great luck with them until hat point.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #14

I replaced my old/dying house battery with an "Exide MC-31 MEGACYCLE AGM-200" almost a year and a half ago. The one that it replaced was of similar quality and was 10 years old. So far so good with the Exide branded one.

Adding a frame rail tray and a second battery is a job I've not tackled yet. Mostly because I really don't love running 1/0 gauge cables.

Note that the MC-31 Exide won't quite fit in the ford frame rail boxes, it's sized for a custom battery box in the outer back wall on my van.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote