Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #101

Re: East Coast Ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewithvan
Have you done a thorough test of the bed design yet? After thinking about using 1/2", I started to think it would bend a bit when there are two people on it. I understand each person will essentially be on their own piece of wood, but just thought I'd ask. I have some extra 3/4 laying around and was going to use that, but I know that will be super heavy.
Yah man we did and no sag. Could be the strapping overlap underneath that gives extra support and the fact 20+ inches rests on front of bed box...

Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #102

Well Great White is officially Finished. well except for the Thule roof rack for my wifes SUP. After that we hit the road in15 days!!!!
I cant be bothered resizing all the pics my wife has taken but here is her picassa site.. Hope it helps someone as those here have helped me..
https://plus.google.com/photos/11786510 ... n__5p_reKw

See you on the road..
Paul
Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #103

WOW, it came out really nice, time to hit the road.
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadzima
WOW, it came out really nice, time to hit the road.
Thanks man..That's the plan. 15 days and counting... I'll give you a shout when I'm down your way..
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #105

Absolutely beautiful build Paul! I really like it. That bed idea is gonna be in my next one. Your floor plan is VERY similar to what I want to do next with the addition of 2 kids bunks running the length of the whole driver's side (if I can fit em). I actually haven't seen a build so close to what I've been thinking until yours. I can't wait to show her.

Enjoy the trip!
Eric

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Absolutely beautiful build Paul! I really like it. That bed idea is gonna be in my next one. Your floor plan is VERY similar to what I want to do next with the addition of 2 kids bunks running the length of the whole driver's side (if I can fit em). I actually haven't seen a build so close to what I've been thinking until yours. I can't wait to show her.

Enjoy the trip!
Eric

Thanks Eric. Good luck with your build. Was a fun build to do but a lot of sleepless nights over some parts of the project....I think my wife is afraid of what I might attempt next haha
Cheers
Paul
Old 08-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #107
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

A bit late to this build but WOW----what a nice one this turned out to be! Great utility, workmanship looks top notch---not sure which of those is more impressive!

A couple random thoughts though.....

I'm typically not a fan of the aftermarket windows but the placement and style are quite complimentary. For those of us able to be DIY on such things we'll almost always do a better job that a quickie outfit---its sad when so-called professional shops won't take the same time and care during installation, especially since they're liable for any damages they cause. Being in the auto glass business myself leaving a vehicle in no less than the same condition as before my work began is the goal--always!

Fiberine is indeed a small outfit and despite them having a few unique styles that appealed to me I decided to look elsewhere when I thought I had a future need for a raised roof. Along with our distance apart it seemed their shipping and crating charges were a bit extravagant. Given the hassles Bodhi describes that was a sound choice. (In all fairness to Fiberine I've abandoned the project with a raised roof.)

On that note however I did find a company a bit closer, within a 4 hour drive one way with a few nice designs and ability to slightly customize them too. My project would have included raised rear doors and they have a sister company that makes complete kits for this, they are somewhat specially designed to work together. Here's a link:http://www.fiberglassme.com/lightbox2.02/van.tops.html Check out their cool animals and light houses too!

Just some thoughts and saying Nice Van once again!

J W
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #108

Thanks for the link JWA! Always good to know for the home builder. Could you post that as a new thread in the ground up section? Others may benefit and find it easier.

Thanks
Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #109
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Thanks for the link JWA! Always good to know for the home builder. Could you post that as a new thread in the ground up section? Others may benefit and find it easier.

Thanks
Eric
Will do Scotty---found the raised door manufacturer too!

Heading to post anew right now!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #110

You on the west coast yet, I really want to see the van and maybe catch a surf.

Scott
shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote