Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

Re: East Coast Ground up

Thanks D.
We are deciding next cpl days on which top... Its a tough call. Def going with CRL windows too...

Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #12

Interesting development on my CRL windows. As you may have seen here and on my build post the people that installed them did a lot of damage to the van when installing them and they did a poor job on the actual installation. After I picked it up I took it to have the windows tinted. When I got it back I noticed what I thought to be scratches in the tint in a lot of places on only the CRL windows. It looked like the scratches were in the tint. The tint guy told me over a month ago that the scratches were in the windows. That seemed hard to believe as there were a lot of them and he had made some other mistakes on the tint.

I finally had a chance to take it in to him today and had him remove the tint on one of the smaller slider windows. Sure enough the scratches are in the windows. They are also only on the insides of the windows. Even though the installers did a poor job and damaged the rest of the van I can't figure out how it could have been them or did they come from the factory that way. The tint installer stated he has seen it before and the tint makes them more noticeable.

If it's not one thing it's another…..lol….

UPDATE: CRL just replied to my emails and stated I needed to go through the original vendor to handle any warranty. I explained all the above difficulties and they still stated I needed to go through them….

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

Wow Brent, That S$%ks.... I plan on installing them myself. I'll be sure to inspect before leaving glass vendor. When I order I'll make it clear to him that I wont accept if any flaws..
Thanks for the heads up.

Picked up the Van tonight. My wife and I completed the first task by removing the cage between cockpit and cargo area. Damn thing squeaked like crazy,,,
Tomorrow I order Ladders from aluminess with surfboard hooks and Hightop from Fiberine. Leaning more towards 24" bubbletop. Cant justify the extra money for super camper when we own a sweet Class C...
Another sleepless night ahead till I pull the trigger...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #14

Well decided on 24" bubble top from fiberline, Ordered and hoping to have it in 4 weeks. Ordered one CRL sliding window for drivers side and 2 DS aluminess ladders with surfboard hooks...
Have to say Im more nervous about window install than I am with roof..
That said I removed the plastic walls that came in van. Looks bigger already.
I did lower spare today to check out storage space for ordering a box.
BUT, The brackets seem to be really fastened to frame. Has anyone out here taken the brackets off? Did you have to grind off?

Any suggestions on a good quality futon/jack knife couch? We are designing it to be a walk thru.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

The spare carrier can be removed by grinding off or drilling our the rivets. Or.... you can do like I did and just take a plasma to the carrier. It took care of it in no time. Plus, I used the plasma to cut the floor for the storage box.

A couple cautions: The EB floor has a flat spot in the ribs, which I ASSumed was where the body crossmember was. I wanted by box mounted forward as possible to allow access from inside when the back seat is in. Well.... turn out the body crossmember was more rearward than the flat spot, which I discover after I plasma cut the floor, and the piece I cut wouldn't come out. So I had to weld that section of floor back up, and more my cut rearward.

Also, if you do not have a hitch receiver, I suggest adding one first. The will add the stiffness you are losing by ditching the spare carrier. S-series that don't have a spare carrier come with a square crossmember from the factory (which looks like a hitch receiver without a spot for the hitch).
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #16

I removed my spare tire mounting bracket to add a 25 gallon water tank. My van is also an 08 and you cannot remove the whole mount because the emmission tank is mounted on the front part of the crossmember.

Here is an eb install. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7407&hilit=under+van+storage+ spare+tire

I drilled out the lower rear four rivits just because I wanted the lower part all removed, they are not too hard to drill just do it in 4 or 5 steps. I cut the rest of mine also with a plasma cutter, kind of like the one in this post but I also cut off the upper rivits instead of just cutting the crossmember off. If you dont have a hitch you should think about getting one like carringb said. It doesnt look like it would be very strong but I think my frame shifted a bit when I removed the bottom rivits and I have a hitch. You cannot really drill all of the rivits out onless you have 90 degree drill and really short bits. You could cut it with a saws all or jig saw but be careful the floor is quite close.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #17

We used a recip saw and cut it out in 10 minutes or so and put a 20 gallon gray water tank in the space. We have a tow setup and still may weld an extra cross member just incase.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #18

Thanks Guys.
I'm glad I didnt go hog wild on it. Always remind myself, 6 Ps.
Proper
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
That said, I may have made a big mistake on window order.
The only glass guy in the area couldnt tell me the difference between 1/8" or 2 1/4" Trim ring on my Drivers side slide window.
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showl ... delID=2544

I went with 2 1/4" thinking it was to make the finish with interior sheathing, when I get to it.
Now Im a bit freaked out that it wont attach properly. Of course CRL hasnt responded and I paid in full.. No return on special order either...
Anyone know difference?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #19

Cut out spare tire mount today to get ready for storage. Also ordered the hitch to add support.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4890.JPG  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #20

Decided on Fiberine 24" bubble top. Sent check and hope to get it in Sept. Also found a company in NJ to install all the windows we want. My mistake on ordering wrong ring made me realize I need to leave some aspects to the pros. (6 Hr drive to and 6 back will give me some road time in the "Great White".
Aluminess ladders should arrive this week with surfboard hooks. Calling soon for rear bumper with swing arms...

Purchased 3/8 plywood and some reflectix at lowes to lay floor and tape off areas for cabinets.
Any flaws in reflectix under 3/8 for flooring? I plan on a tile over it at a later date.

Heres the blank canvas..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4868.JPG