Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #1

Garage
Espar vs Webasto vs Propex

Having spent a cold night in Rocky Mountain National Park, my next big purchase/install will be a heater. With a gas engine, I’m considering either the Webasto or the Espar. Not thinking I want water heater capability at this point. Reading reviews about problems, so far the Webasto is out front. If you have advice about why I should go one way or the other, I’d like to hear it.

https://www.webasto-comfort.com/file...eet_lo_res.pdf

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod...onic-s2m2.html

Thoughts?

EDIT: After checking out the recommendations for annual cleaning/maintenance of the Webasto/Espar, as well as the noise factor, I decided to throw the Propex into the mix. The obvious downside for the Propex being the need for a tank. But it has so many other things going for it, seems worth considering. I also liked Boy Wonder’s posts on his install, so it’s got me thinking.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/hea...s2000-furnace/

Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

Garage
The one thing that may make a difference is the max altitude without an external sensor:
webasto = 7,218 ft
espar = 9,842 ft
Nevertheless, both heaters have a following and should work well in a van.
I just installed an espar D2L and S3 and have nothing to compare against, so my opinion is only good for espar.
And they haven't even been turned on!!!
Either way, I think you'll enjoy the heater.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

Garage
I have both... Espar in my Econoline and a Webasto in my Sprinter, both diesel. They both work great! I have used the gas versions as well with no bad experiences. Good luck with your decision.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

Garage
Been hearing a lot of good things about the Chinese knockoff heaters for a couple of years now. Saw a thread a while back that ccv is putting their name on one of them. Sounded like they’ve installed quite a few all with positive results. Might be worth giving them a call to see what they recommend.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
The one thing that may make a difference is the max altitude without an external sensor:
webasto = 7,218 ft
espar = 9,842 ft
Nevertheless, both heaters have a following and should work well in a van.
I just installed an espar D2L and S3 and have nothing to compare against, so my opinion is only good for espar.
And they haven't even been turned on!!!
Either way, I think you'll enjoy the heater.
My understanding was the opposite- that the espar needed an expensive high altitude kit, and the webasto could be programmed to deal with altitude. Based on this, I bought a webasto from the russian guy, but I have't installed it yet.
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #6

I have an Espar I use almost daily and have never done a thing to it. No off-season maintenance, solid product. I have not spent much time over 10k though.

I had a Planar (Canadian/Russian) which would probably be considered one of the first knock offs in my Transit. It worked well as well but the controller was not nearly as intuitive.

The prices are rock bottom on the knock-offs on Amazon and Ebay now but I'm not sure if I would trust one of them while I sleep given the cheap metals and components used in other Chinese knock off products we're seeing more and more of.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I have an Espar I use almost daily and have never done a thing to it. No off-season maintenance, solid product. I have not spent much time over 10k though.
No maintenance and everything’s fine? All their recommended annual stuff is what’s bothering me vs propane.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

Garage
Otter - what's the noise factor of the Webasto + Espar??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg View Post
My understanding was the opposite- that the espar needed an expensive high altitude kit, and the webasto could be programmed to deal with altitude. Based on this, I bought a webasto from the russian guy, but I have't installed it yet.
The new version of the espar air heaters has an internal altitude sensor so no need for the external altitude sensor...the new version is AS2...the new S3 coolant heaters also have CAN abilities (see below for CAN)

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod...ommercial.html

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod...onic-s2m2.html

Airtronic S2/M2 – our new Airtronic family

The new Airtronic family is the logical further development of the successful Eberspächer air heater. With its robust components and the latest control system, the Airtronic now features both functional expansions and a longer service life.
The new Airtronic is equipped with automatic altitude adjustment as standard. A new brushless motor has extended the service life to 5,000 hours. This new motor, a modern control system and the use of the latest metering pump technology also improve the acoustics. Furthermore, the new Airtronic uses the pioneering Eberspächer CAN bus technology.

Advantages ¹⁾:
  • Interfaces: CAN, LIN (only 12 V), S+
  • Service life 5,000 h
  • Brushless motor
  • Use of the latest EasyStart Pro and EasyStart Web control units
  • Diagnostics and parameter assignment via EasyScan
  • Starting capability down to –46 °C
  • Stepless heating performance control
  • Noise emissions optimized
  • Use of acoustically improved metering pump
  • Integrated altitude sensor:
    - Automatic altitude adjustment up to 3,000 m
    - Optimized combustion

Another thing I learned while researching the espar is the CAN functionality - the ability to control multiple devices with a single remote. Watch this youtube for more info -

Will likely be purchasing the easystart remote+ to control both of our heaters:
* no worry about wiring and mounting the typical remotes somewhere in the van;
* can start the heaters from outside the van.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Garage
Unreng: Nice write-up, thanks. The noise factor I referred to is from some owner reviews I found online. Has this not been your experience? Perhaps this is a pretty subjective thing. I know folks who vehemently complained about the noise of the typical Atwood/Suburban/etc RV heaters. I had them in my trailers and always slept like a baby.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
Another thing I learned while researching the espar is the CAN functionality - the ability to control multiple devices with a single remote. Watch this youtube for more info -

Will likely be purchasing the easystart remote+ to control both of our heaters:
* no worry about wiring and mounting the typical remotes somewhere in the van;
* can start the heaters from outside the van.
Chris, would love to have this. Is it available yet in the US?