Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Expanding Foam and You

I don't know about vans but my company has insulated rail cars that are foamed inside. They have to build cross-braced reinforcing structures to keep the inner skin from deforming. Sort of like stopping a concrete form from blowing out.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #12

i dont feel much heat using these foam in a can products (great stuff brand). the one made for windows and doors works really well in their intended application.

i intentionally planned to use the foam in the studs and other nooks and crannies only as i read some of the concerns about interacting with metal. personally, ive been using the stuff for years and have never seen it do anything bad to metal (like metal skin door or metal framed basement windows etc).

i dont recall the can offering any warnings either. other than its really sticky and cleans up best with acetone (or growing it off you skin lol).

i still cant believe it did what it did with so little product.

photos later today.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

Hi;

I get the feeling we'll be shedding some tears once the photos are posted.

I don't know what else to say.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm gonna agree with those expressing condolences for discovering this after the fact---would never have thought the foam exerted that much pressure. Hopefully this thread stays at the top for any newbie wondering if its a good idea. Like others I'd never have thought this to be even a remote possibility.

When I insulated my '00 E250 cargo van/work truck the lower cavities and doors were stuffed with unfaced fiberglass then two layers of Reflectix-like material glued completely over each side, enclosing and enveloping all open areas including the interior ribs or studs. Being honest it was cheaper to do it this way than purchase the better quality home construction foam, not as time sensitive and in my mind easier to reverse or remove if the need ever arose.

I'll look forward to any photos you post---hope you find a solution to this and its cheap!!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #15

thanks for the kind words

i took some photos but the effect is hard to photograph. it has subsided a little from what i first saw so that is good but its is still visible. i should have tried to take pics when it first happened as it would have been easier to do since it was worse then... but bad weather, being busy at work and not really wanting to look at it conspired against me.

ill post the ones where its somewhat visible in the shot.

the cheapest solution at this point is to just live with it lol.

i decided against fiberglass insulation early on because i hate the stuff and i didnt want fibers coming loose over time as i drive, getting into everything (this is s fulltime boondock build as well as daily driver). even the stuff that is wrapped i didnt trust so for me it was a sandwich of 80 mil sound deadener, 3/4" rigid xps and reflectix. spray can foam used in the aforementioned studs as well as nooks and crannies. reflectix hasnt been installed yet but the difference in sound and temperature so far is incredible. its very comfy. i plan on facing it all with a combination of luan plywood and in some areas wood boards (hardwood flooring or 1x's in maple ??) to make mounting stuff easier.

wvvan was my inspiration early on to document the build but in a testament to his efforts, its not easy to remember to stop what youre doing and take photos. i do have some to post and i will soon but man he really does an amazing job.