Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #1

Experiment: 97 E350 with manual mirrors - want powered ones.

So, I bought a set of powered mirrors off a post 2002 van. One of the mirrors was broken a bit with a loose housing. Seller made it right and refunded me 1/2 the amount. So, I wanna use it as a test mule for wiring it to be powered.

My 97 E350 doesn't have powered mirrors. Everyone states that the powered wiring is there, but I seem to be missing it. I also know the fitting is different...

So, anyone done this and know what I should do?

My thoughts are this:

1) get a set of connectors to splice into the wires once I find them. That way, if I need to remove the mirrors, I can disconnect each wire and remove.

2) get a control switch for the mirrors. Again, do not see the plug in for this switch so, not sure what to do.

If I cannot go powered, I assume I will just leave them as non powered and adjust manually. Kind of ghetto, but would work...

Anyone done this from non powered to powered? I did all the drilling and got them mounted.

Thanks!!

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Re: Experiment: 97 E350 with manual mirrors - want powered o

Anyone hard wire a new set of mirrors on an older van?
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

I have seen some thread on this, but i think they were all on putting the newer 2 shaft (like F-series) towing mirrors on later vans. I'm betting I saw it on Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums. Have you dug around there?
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #4

I have done it twice. Bought the Ford switches on EBay not van spific just ford OEM. make sure you get the pigtails with the wires they use a special connector. All of the wiring diagrams are in the factory EVTM (Electrical,Vacuum Troubleshooting manual) get one it will come in very handy. I laid it out on the workbench and testwired it. One of the vans had the wires in the doors which made it easier the other I just ran them under the dash, easy to get to with the doghouse removed. One van had the hole for the switch the other I dremeled a hole in the dash.

We used the 2003 and later towing mirrors and compared to how tough it was to mount them on a 1996 wiring them was easy. Wiring and testing them on the workbench and understanding how the wiring worked made the actual install go much smoother.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

My old '94 van came pre-wired. But it was a Wagon. I think the wagons came with more pre-wiring for options than other vans (my current van has unused wire harnesses hidden everywhere).