Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #11

Re: Factory rear A/C and heat into an EB cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I'd check to make sure the compressor on dual air vans isn't larger..
It's the same compressor. However besides needing more freon, additional system oil is required when adding rear A/C.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q39.PDF

Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Here's an overview based upon my own experience with this.........

I've added an aftermarket rear heater only but had flirted with and even bought a brand new factory rear heater-A/C unit for a whopping $125 shipped to my door. That was a once-in-a-lifetime acquisition and for a few reasons its now been sold.

Finding a used factory unit is somewhat easy but truthfully the heater core and A/C evaporator would be the first things replaced. Any potential mess a leaking pressure vessel leaves is bad enough in my cargo-only vans---if it was a built out conversion I can't imagine what chaos that would be. Count on over $250 just for those two parts alone. (We'll assume for now the blower motor, vacuum servo and resistor network are at least working at time of purchase.)

Next is changing the dash mounted fan speed and function control with the factory rear heater capable version. Not a costly part at all---$25 max through eBay, fairly easy install if you've already been inside your center dash board. There should be a loose pigtail lead connector that is wired to another connector in the left side B Pillar, near the seat belt lower mounting retracting reel.

At that connector you'll have signals from the dash mounted rear fan speed control, a 30 amp constant power feed and blue vacuum line, capped off until needed. The factory wiring harness for rear heat & A/C takes those signals, power and vacuum to the factory rear assembly. Typically if all these components are in place they're a simple plug-n-play thing---all except for coolant and refrigerant lines of course.

(Compressors are indeed the same----go figure but in the end that's a good thing cost wise!)

IF you're still with me now this is where the expense really kicks in. You'll have to run engine coolant lines from the van's front to the rear unit. Properly insulated and secured along their length is vital for several reasons. (My arrangement has an electro-vacuum control circuit of my creation allowing me to basically completely close off and isolate my rear heater when its not needed; Ford's arrangement has hot coolant flowing through the rear heater core always.)

Fittings for the A/C up front are another costly issue. If using the factory system you'd have to buy their fittings, no idea what they cost or even what they look like. From there suitable A/C lines connecting the condenser to the rear unit is as vital as the coolant lines. Equally necessary to insulate and secure these too. An advantage of sorts is these lines can be made by most hydraulic hose/fitting shops from hose that will withstand far more severe duty than A/C use. I would budget somewhere near $160 minimum just for these two lines with installed fittings both ends.

Once all components are fitted, installed and secured time to fill the cores--coolant is easy enough. A/C would require a qualified shop or person with necessary equipment to evacuate, charge and leak test the new parts.

And that's all there is to it!

^^^Mostly a tongue-in-cheek comment but if you're really intent on rear heat and A/C there might be conversion shops in your area willing to tackle this for you---I could see costs approaching $2500 or more. Since you're so far running a cargo-only van this is a bit easier but still fairly labor intensive. Without proper insulation this sort of refit doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

Glad to answer any questions you might have now--hope this was just a bit informative.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Site Team

I used to know the manufacturer name of the 12V A/C add-on system that SMBw would install in the rear of conversions as an option. It tied into the vehicle AC system lines, and had an additional evaporator that was installed in the back corner of a van. I'll see if I can come up with the name.

It did work fairly well, but not great. I believe it's a fairly pricey option from SMB, though nothing like a Starcool.

Herb
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I used to know the manufacturer name of the 12V A/C add-on system that SMBw would install in the rear of conversions as an option. It tied into the vehicle AC system lines, and had an additional evaporator that was installed in the back corner of a van. I'll see if I can come up with the name.

It did work fairly well, but not great. I believe it's a fairly pricey option from SMB, though nothing like a Starcool.

Herb
I've got that info, come to think of it. I'll look and see what it's called. I don't know if it would be the same company they use now though given mine is a 95.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Herb
ProAir.

This is the "12V AC system" that SMBw used to install (don't see it on their website anymore). I think if you look at the Van Conversion manual on the link below, you'll find a lot of good info on adding this system to many van makes (even including the Ford Transit).

http://www.proairllc.com/troubleshooting

Herb
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

Thank you for all the replies. This is just what I was needing to know. Keep the info coming.

I do need read air as we have 4 kids who will be riding in the back of the van. They get hot in our 4runner with an added 3rd row and no rear a/c. It gets hot in South Carolina

I don't mind the labor. I cannot imagine paying a shop some of the prices quoted on here and Expo. I understand that they have overhead to cover etc but I don't have the $ to go that route. It is also nice to know mechanics who are willing to lend a hand if I get stuck on something. This also helps when an issue arises as I can usually repair it since I had it apart before.
89srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #17

As always, I learn something new from this forum every time I open it. I'm about to start my conversion on our '09 Quigley passenger wagon that had rear AC in its former life. Long story short, there was some fire damage to the rear of the van and the guy who bought it from the insurance company just pulled out the AC unit and taped off the tubes under the body. I've since acquired (from a junk yard) the rear unit. My plan, however naive, was to gut it of its components because of its size and reinstall them into the base of a cabinet and duct the air where it was needed. From reading this thread I now wonder if the whole AC system is toast from moisture and contamination.
Having lived in Alaska forever I've never had to deal with an AC system before, carringb and JWA seem to be knowledgeable on this subject, any thoughts? I'm literally beginning this build next week and this was one of the first things on my list. Well, one of a hundred first things anyway. Anyone have a link to "AC for dummies?" Thanks.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
JWA

EatMore do you need or want rear A/C? Does the dash still have the rear blower motor control?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #19

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking we'll want the rear AC in order to bring the entire space to temp while traveling, the long range plan is to head for warmer, drier places. Also, isn't the AC intregal to helping de-humidify the interior? The system appears intact from the last tubing joint just aft of the wheel well all the way forward, so yeah, the control is still there.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
JWA

In no particular order:

-As the Quigley was originally equipped with factory rear heat & A/C it's best to keep that as part of the plan. Not sure how much damage was done during the fire but most of what remains is more than likely serviceable or repairable. I would suggest getting a factory EVTM or "wring diagram" book in printed form for your year van. (The model such as E150, E250, E350 Club Wagon aren't considerations because wiring is much the same anyway.)

-The factory rear air unit came with ducting that is quite efficient and should be maintained. I'm assuming this is a Club Wagon and has the headliner factory fitted with outlets?

-Replacement heater core and evaporator can be tested for leaks, cleaned and flushed to clear any debris before refilling them.

-Condition of heater and A/C lines needs to be double checked at this point as those can be DIY labor intensive. Heater hoses are easy enough to replace, A/C lines can be replicated by any competent hydraulics fitting shop however be prepared to spend maybe as much as $300 for the high pressure hose and fittings required.

Heater lines on the factory rear air vans is originally steel tubing known to leak after a period. Using a heavy duty automotive heater hose running in place of those lines, insulating with a decent or better brand of pipe insulation (AramaFlex for example) along with typical hose fittings and clamps makes this the "easier" part of your rehab. (CarringB likes the spring clamps and I agree those of good quality will give trouble free operation.)

-Much of what needs replacing will depend on your inspection and gut feeling but because you're simply replacing damaged parts it will be far, far easier than creating this from scratch.

If you can post photos of what's left behind in the area once occupied by the factory box including chassis wiring connectors that would be helpful to me.

We're hear to help once you get started so feel free to ask here in the open forum or PM me if that would be useful.