Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #21

If I were in your shoes I'd likely just install the fiberglass fenders from Weldtec(or whoever makes those) and paint them myself.

BB

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
If I were in your shoes I'd likely just install the fiberglass fenders from Weldtec(or whoever makes those) and paint them myself.

BB
That's definitely an option, about a $475 option. I have already found a gloss white 1996 fender for $60 locally (although Falkor is not gloss white). I could do so many other things w/ that $400 difference. But those fiberglass fenders do look good and will let me run bigger tires when the time comes. Money is more of a concern than flared fenders w/ clearance.

It just makes me so angry thinking about someone hitting it and then driving off like nothing happened.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #23

It is amazing to me how someone could run into a stationary vehicle that big, but I know it happens. So many drivers just don't pay attention.

I'm in Scottsdale and I have space and tools and willingness to help out. I don't have any experience doing body work, but if you want to swap fenders then that's something we can handle here pretty easily. I've also got mobile tools so I can also come to you. PM if you want some help.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #24

People suck. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'd definitely go the route of a salvage yard fender. They aren't hard to replace.

Isn't that Ford (Oxford) white? It should be really easy to find a fender in your color and off a similar age van you might get a pretty good match.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post

BB
This was my first thought. Not sure what your deductible is but when the top of my van got scratched I had it quoted to fix by a local place and usaa gave me that towards the purchase of my high top minus my 500$ deductible.

Maybe you could do the same for your fenders.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
It is amazing to me how someone could run into a stationary vehicle that big, but I know it happens. So many drivers just don't pay attention.

I'm in Scottsdale and I have space and tools and willingness to help out. I don't have any experience doing body work, but if you want to swap fenders then that's something we can handle here pretty easily. I've also got mobile tools so I can also come to you. PM if you want some help.
@freeagent, I appreciate the support. I'm still working w/ USAA to determine what we can do.

The first shop said they could fix it, but they'd only be painting the fender. Because Falkor's more tan than white, the original paint has probably faded in the 23 years of AZ sun and if they only do the fender, it likely won't match. So, I took it to another shop that said they would want to do a whole paint job so it matches perfectly. But USAA is not a fan of that estimate vs the original one they gave me. If I can get USAA to approve a whole new paint job then I'll pay the deductible and go that route.

If USAA doesn't agree to the painting the whole vehicle, I'm going to pick up the gloss white CL fender and rock that until I can get the Weldtec fenders. I've already been in communication w/ Weldtec regarding the lift I want, so why not throw the fenders in too
Old 04-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #27
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Once upon a time I owned a body shop, hope this helps.........

Your best bet for a top quality repair is obtaining a used OEM fender---one that's rust free you might pick up at the local DIY salvage yard. The if CL find works out that's even better---already off and ready to go. The upside to something in a yard is you can see how it fits that vehicle around the door and hood.

Almost without a doubt USAA won't pay to repaint the entire vehicle due a crunched fender--if they did good on ya but I'd be shocked. I don't recall even the better insurance coverage that would go to that extent.

Color matching CAN be achieved by any shop that mixes and tints their own paint. Even if they don't they use your fuel filler cap sent to their local supplier for something darn close. From there the process of "paint blending" could could be employed---we did it all the time and guaranteed paint matches on the estimates which no other shop would do even though they were doing the same thing as we used.

That's quick advice if I can add more please PM or post here---I don't get back too frequently these days so PM is maybe a bit quicker?

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Once upon a time I owned a body shop, hope this helps.........

Your best bet for a top quality repair is obtaining a used OEM fender---one that's rust free you might pick up at the local DIY salvage yard. The if CL find works out that's even better---already off and ready to go. The upside to something in a yard is you can see how it fits that vehicle around the door and hood.

Almost without a doubt USAA won't pay to repaint the entire vehicle due a crunched fender--if they did good on ya but I'd be shocked. I don't recall even the better insurance coverage that would go to that extent.

Color matching CAN be achieved by any shop that mixes and tints their own paint. Even if they don't they use your fuel filler cap sent to their local supplier for something darn close. From there the process of "paint blending" could could be employed---we did it all the time and guaranteed paint matches on the estimates which no other shop would do even though they were doing the same thing as we used.

That's quick advice if I can add more please PM or post here---I don't get back too frequently these days so PM is maybe a bit quicker?

HTH

I appreciate the feedback. I doubt USAA will cover the cost for full paint, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it at em and see what they say. I've done fenders before on my old C-10 and an old CRX. They were pretty straightforward to replace, just time-consuming by myself. USAA is sending out a final appraiser on Wednesday to assess the damage and tell me my options.

Here's the C-10 (the galaxie in the back was mine too) and CRX after some of my minor body work repairs. I replaced fenders, hood, grill and bumpers on both:
Attached Thumbnails
gunther.jpg   rex1.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #29

Updates for you all:

USAA finalized their estimate and determined the full paint job was not required. I'll be holding off on the junk yard fender and ordering a set of fiberglass Weldtec fenders. No need to change to another OEM fender, just to change it again later. So in a few months I'll have my Weldtec fenders and lift on. I'm moving back to San Diego for the summer which will put me right by their shop for easy parts pickup. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Lastly, Falkor just hit the 30k mile mark on Sunday!!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Congrats all the way around---nice progress on all fronts.

Hope to see the new fender etc installed when you're finished.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote