Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #41

No luck on that lead. The grey van is not the hospital's so I'll need to catch it parked there again and leave a note. Also, not much help from Braun. They say their conversion info should be on the driver's door jamb but my van does not have that and I'll try to see if the grey van does.

campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
No luck on that lead. The grey van is not the hospital's so I'll need to catch it parked there again and leave a note. Also, not much help from Braun. They say their conversion info should be on the driver's door jamb but my van does not have that and I'll try to see if the grey van does.

Best of luck hunting down the info. I'm not too concerned about it, but if you find the manufacturer LMK.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #43

@TheVagabondMBA, looks like user @MSD found the builder, a company called FGME or Fiberglass Molding & Engineering in Thomasville NC (home of the Big Chair for people into things like that---locals call it Big Churrr).
Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #44

Quote:
@TheVagabondMBA, looks like user @MSD found the builder, a company called FGME or Fiberglass Molding & Engineering in Thomasville NC (home of the Big Chair for people into things like that---locals call it Big Churrr).

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to find something.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #45

Quote:

@campism, did you happen to read this post on Cheap RV? I have similar issues where the top meets the gutters and have since located a few problem spots that could lead to some leaks (if it ever rained for more than 30 minutes in San Diego) if left untreated. I've never noticed standing water in the van or any signs of a leak, but after reading about FGME and some of the concerns with the installation of the tops, I got a ladder out to look at my install. Looks like it could use some more sealant/butyl tape in the gutters. That's now more more thing I've added to the "must-get-done" list (not to be confused with the extensive "wish list" I keep adding to).

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums....php?tid=26902
Old 11-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #46

@TheVagabondMBA, I had not seen that review or the website lately. I have looked at it once or twice in the past but was spending more time on VW-specific sites until we got this Dodge. I'm really sorry to hear about the place being run like it is. Makes me think my request for info on my van's build or detail on the conversion are unlikely to be answered. I wrote to them on the site's Contact Us page and it looks like you're addressing James when you do so, and that's my roof in the background photo on the contact page.

Since it sounds like James only recently bought the company, it is unlikely that his bad habits extend into the history of the company; therefore, I hope my '94 van will not be affected by his bad habits. When we bought the Dodge the seller said there was a slight leak but it appears to have been around the emergency hatch in the roof and not around the perimeter of the roof mounting, as on your van. I plan to remove the hatch and replace with a fan so will do more sealing when the time comes. Until then I can tape a piece of plastic over the hatch to keep water out. The van is parked for now anyway. Roof edge and gutters look pretty good except for some peeling rubber trim in the metal edge band around the roof just above the gutter. Good luck with your fix and thanks for the link and the heads up on the revised and updated FGME.
Attached Thumbnails
FGME Contact page.jpg  
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #47

A photo from the weekend so you can get an idea of how the moog lift and fenders look together. I'm still searching for the right wheel and tire combo.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0053.jpg  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVagabondMBA View Post
@campism, did you happen to read this post on Cheap RV? I have similar issues where the top meets the gutters and have since located a few problem spots that could lead to some leaks (if it ever rained for more than 30 minutes in San Diego) if left untreated. I've never noticed standing water in the van or any signs of a leak, but after reading about FGME and some of the concerns with the installation of the tops, I got a ladder out to look at my install. Looks like it could use some more sealant/butyl tape in the gutters. That's now more more thing I've added to the "must-get-done" list (not to be confused with the extensive "wish list" I keep adding to).

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums....php?tid=26902

So, it's been raining pretty solid in San Diego for the last week or so. And it turns out that there is a leak where the hi-top meets the gutters above the rear window directly behind the driver seat. Now I'm in the process of pulling some of the interior to see how much water got in, and to determine exactly where the leak is coming from. Just as I was making progress and ready to start on the next phase of the interior. Oh well.

At least the van is driving great
Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #49

Just about to hit 40k miles on this beast and after putting on almost 20k miles I can officially say I love it.

I have a potential job lined up in Colorado Springs (where my family is located) and trying to decide if I want to take it or stay in the warm weather. If I move to CO, I'll be moving into my brother's house and saving about $800 on rent each month. Plus, I'll be making more money so I might actually be able to get Falkor where we want him. Leaning towards the move, but we'll see.

I haven't done anything else to the van in awhile other than put sealant in the gaps on the roof gutters to prevent the leaking that started in the heavy rain. So far so good, but we'll see what happens next time it rains (or if I move to the snow).

Here's a photo from our camping trip last weekend. We did a night in J Tree and then explored around Wiley's Well, Milipitas Wash Road and Bradshaw trail. This is after getting back on the 10 West outside of Cabazon. I'll post some more photos after the next phase of Falkor's build (whatever that may be)
Attached Thumbnails
48374964_10156230041051374_4885266368506626048_o.jpg  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #50

New year, new goals. The band broke up so my wife and I are playing as a duo now instead of a full 4-piece. It'll make splitting the money much easier as well as time in the van much more enjoyable. Feel free to check out Leanna May Music.

Also, I accepted a short-term contract in Colorado Springs and will be relocating at the end of the month. I'm waiting to get my 285's until after the 1000 mile trip in hopes of salvaging some MPG's while towing. I just ordered my front and rear tow hitches so we can tow a trailer in the rear while loading our bikes up front. I'll post some photos of the install when they get in.

In the meantime, we've been using our America the Beautiful pass as much as possible and just enjoying Falkor in his current state. I have some ideas in the works for after the move. Stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0211.jpg   IMG_3243.jpg