Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Fan-tastic vent in the window?

Like many, I can't say that I'm wild with the idea of cutting a large hole in my roof for a vent. My van also has ridges so that makes mounting an even bigger issue. I've seen installs where some have removed the window glass and permanently mounted the fan in a piece of plywood cut to fit.

Install pics I've seen look like the dome cover can be easily removed. Has anyone ever mounted a fan in a piece of plywood or plexi-glass that could temporarily fit in one of the tilt out windows when parked? You would have to fabricate a way for it to stay in place and wire a plug but thought this might be a solution of having a powered vent without the hole in the roof. I was thinking about mounting one of their thermostat controlled models (5000RBT) in plexiglass or Lexan (so it is still a window to get light & see out). Just wondering if it has already been done.

Thoughts?

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Re: Fan-tastic vent in the window?

I was going to go the window route, but had some guys in Jersey do the roof install and they did an incredible job. I'll post photos tomorrow, hopefully, when I get it back from the electrical guys.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Here are some pictures of a grooved roof mount. Took two tries because I used a poor sealer the first time. Has been fine since. You would be cutting one of the five roof stringers. To get the roof strength back I made a frame of 4/4" x 5" oak to tie the middle cut stringer into the ones on either side.

The hole. Front light wiring passes in this area and tapped off of it for the fan.

1st installation was "poor". Planned as a future project of reinstall fan with strengthening frame. Roof leak for wrong sealer moved the project up on the priority list.

Inside view of fan

Remounted fan with heavy oak frame to tie stringers together and used my traditional sealer (ACE rope caulk).

Note shaped oak pieces in roof grooves

To do project similar to method I used would require access to a table saw.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren
Has anyone ever mounted a fan in a piece of plywood or plexi-glass that could temporarily fit in one of the tilt out windows when parked? You would have to fabricate a way for it to stay in place and wire a plug but thought this might be a solution of having a powered vent without the hole in the roof. I was thinking about mounting one of their thermostat controlled models (5000RBT) in plexiglass or Lexan (so it is still a window to get light & see out). Just wondering if it has already been done.
I know I remember one person doing it and posting a photo, but can't find it. Perhaps try a number of different search parameters.

All I could find so far is:
viewtopic.php?p=10698#p10698
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

I thought Fantastic Fan also sold a window mountable unit??

The Green TARDIS
Old 03-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I don't know if they sell a window mount, but I know folks were placing a Fantastic Fan in a window over the counter top...

...we hang our fantastic fan from a front "J" hook with the adjacent window open and have the fan aimed back into the PHT bed...
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren
Has anyone ever mounted a fan in a piece of plywood or plexi-glass that could temporarily fit in one of the tilt out windows when parked? You would have to fabricate a way for it to stay in place and wire a plug but thought this might be a solution of having a powered vent without the hole in the roof. I was thinking about mounting one of their thermostat controlled models (5000RBT) in plexiglass or Lexan (so it is still a window to get light & see out). Just wondering if it has already been done.
I know I remember one person doing it and posting a photo, but can't find it. Perhaps try a number of different search parameters.

All I could find so far is:
viewtopic.php?p=10698#p10698
I thought I remember a post about it too but haven't come across it yet. I'm trying about every word combo I can think of.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #8

Really what you want to do should be very do able. I assume that the crank out window is flush with the exterior so there is probably a recessed pocket on the inside. If the window is bigger then the fan it would be really easy. I personally would use tough clear plastic. Not as durable as a piece of plywood but would get light in and see out of it better. The fans w motor does weigh a bit so you either have to add some retaining clips or maybe use industrial strength Velcro around the perimeter with some knobs to pull the frame back out. Will need to add power cord to fan with 12v plug.

Have fun.

The Green TARDIS
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
I thought Fantastic Fan also sold a window mountable unit??
Maybe they did at one time. The only thing they have now that looks close is the Endless Breeze fan:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/products.html

It's basically a box fan with 3 speeds. Everything else they have listed are designed to be a hard mount. Fortunately, I do have a 12v source near the door I would like to try this with.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I like a guy who's not affriad to cut a hole in his roof..

Ron