Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #21

Re: Finally Getting Started!

The second cabinet went together much easier. It did not require being reassembled 3 times like the first one did.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1971.JPG   CIMG1972.JPG  

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
Mine leaks like that on the drivers side ever since the new windshield was installed.
Crawl up on top and look at your rain gutter. My leak is in this area. Take making tape and seal real well if it is cracked. Overlap the crack if there is one and then spray with the water hose. On my van if the rear of the van is lower than the front the leak slows or stops. If the front is lower than the rear than the water pours in the crack. This is how the van was sitting when I found the leak to begin with. The rear was facing my shop and the front was lower and we had several days of rain. It hard to believe that the water wicks that fast down the inside of the van and drips onto the floor of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1973.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #23

Ford had a bulletin out on this, it’s about the epoxy not sticking and the paint along the rain gutter not sticking. They had an updated epoxy and they also fought tooth and nail to NOT repair it under warranty.
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Ford had a bulletin out on this, it’s about the epoxy not sticking and the paint along the rain gutter not sticking. They had an updated epoxy and they also fought tooth and nail to NOT repair it under warranty.
What years did this affect? I don't think my 2008 is hard like I think epoxy would be. I think its more like typical flexable seam sealer.

My van has/had a factory body defect ever since it was new (well two as it also has a small dent in the rain gutter under the paint) The left rear area from the bottom of the upper rear door hinge down and around to the rear lower quarter panel did not have any spot welds. Basically the spot welding machine must have broken or something when they were welding the quarter panel to the inner body. Its missing maybe one hundred spot welds as well as a complete small triangle panel that goes from the quarter panel to inner fender joint and then up to the rear of the body. When it was new (and before I bought it) it leaked water around the door area so the dealer did some plug welding and seam sealer and touched up the paint but never did anything about the other missing spot welds, missing part or the big gap in the lower quarter panel where the part is missing. I bought the triangle panel a year and a half ago but have never done anything about installing it. The factory paint is so nice I hate to mess with it by blending it. Maybe someday when I build or buy bumpers for it I will grind it down, weld the missing panel in and paint the area behind the bumper with semi gloss black or bed liner paint and have a tape line. I think the repair is ugly but there is no easy way to get it to look like the stock spot welds after it was assembled no matter what. It could look better if I scraped out the messy sealer (it even has some finger prints in it) and re applied it neater and then touch up the area.

SCBrian, I will look at my roof sealer but I think it is ok. I would like that repair more than having the windshield redone.

I would think that some urethane would repair it. Just try to see if there is anythjng still loose and then force a small amount into the area. After you are sure it doesn't leak just use touch up paint to hide the repair.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #25

Oh nice job on the cabinets by the way...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #26

ya nice job...they look good
Old 07-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
What years did this affect? I don't think my 2008 is hard like I think epoxy would be. I think its more like typical flexable seam sealer.

SCBrian, I will look at my roof sealer but I think it is ok. I would like that repair more than having the windshield redone.
The Ford bulletin was for something like 1999 ~ 2005 or something like that, and I heard that it was still happening on even newer model years. I'll look for a copy and post it.

And SCBrian, AWESOME cabinet work! Thanks for posting pics!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 AM   #28

Yesterday we finally scheduled the rain gutter fix. The repair shop I had the windshield done is also a body shop. The plan is to grind the area in question and refill with urethane/epoxy. I guess in the auto body/windshield business there are several types of urethane's and he told which one he thought would work. If I remember it was close to or was a seam sealer. After the repair touch up paint to the area. I'm taking the van Thurs for the repair. Cost for repair and touch up paint is under $100.

My Build Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #29

Finally getting a chance to post some progress pics. The rain gutter fix was completed using two tubes of seam sealer. The shop ground out any questionable areas and re sealed the entire rain gutter. Painted the area when it was completed. We ended up with a $130 fix.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1987.JPG  

My Build Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #30

Additional cabinet pics:

Passenger side.

Front view of the drivers side. Holes for the rear air.

Back view of the drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1979.JPG   CIMG1980.JPG   CIMG1981.JPG  

My Build Thread