Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

Limited slip, new E350 front end, and some spacers

The title pretty much says it all. Since John at Quadvan NW takes new E350 2wd vans and turns them into 4wd vans he happens to have a few new 2014 complete front ends laying around.

With a trip out of town for an Xterra race last weekend, It was the perfect time to get it into the shop for some new parts. The brakes/bushings etc on my van were pretty worn, and the cost from John to just swap a take off front end from one of his vans was a good value.

While he was at it, he installed some spring spacers to give the front some lift and then some 2" blocks for the rear. The van sits nicely now, raised but not obscene. I think im going to end up calling it a prerunner setup. It will have that look when completed. And with limited slip and a winch I think i can get most anywhere.

John had an eaton limited slip that he installed in the rear so that I could get a little farther off the beaten path and deal with the snow we get when headed to the mountains. Its a good thing that he was working in there as my rear pinion bearings were worn and needed replacement. Perfect timing.

Ride quality is much improved with the new front end, and the brakes are massive compared to what I originally had. It has great pedal feel. John also installed the newer style front sway bar so it feels much tighter. Renewed life on the old van. It feels more confidence inspiring on the freeway, and the limited slip hooks up when any wheel spin is detected. Im really happy with it so far.

Next stop is to start building out the back end with camping gear. Ive been running with a bed frame that I made from some spare materials and a ikea foam mattress, but its not ideal.

till next time.
Attached Thumbnails
raised.JPG   front sus.JPG   rear blocks.JPG  

hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: First build

Nice build!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #13

Are the Cooper's stock size?

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Nice build!
thank you! Im enjoying it
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
Are the Cooper's stock size?
I believe so, or at least very close. Ill be putting different wheels and tires on it when these wear out a little more, and when the right deal comes along.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob83
Hi Hammerhome,

I'm also looking into converting a cargo van and the E250 seems like an ideal candidate. I was wondering what sort of millage yours has done and what you got it for (if this is not bad etiquette)?

Thanks
Rob
Rob,

to get back to your mileage question, I installed a scanguage II a while back. Im getting about 13mpg average with mostly in town driving. 15 on the highway as long as I keep it around 70
Old 04-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #17

Hey, would you be willing to share what you paid for the spacers and fender flares?

Also, do you do any road bike or cross racing, or strictly mtb?
grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin
Hey, would you be willing to share what you paid for the spacers and fender flares?

Also, do you do any road bike or cross racing, or strictly mtb?
I dont remember exactly what I paid, the fender flares are for a sliding door van, probably $200-300. And sorry I dont remember what I paid for the spacers, it was about a year ago, might as well have been a decade with my terrible memory.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #19

new shoes

So i couldnt take the old wheels and tires anymore. I added some 17" wheels and 265/70-17 Goodyear Duratracs. The 265's are 10 ply, and are winter rated so they fulfill all my needs.

Here are a few pics. playing around to see where it would rub.
Attached Thumbnails
bigbrakes.JPG   rfcurb.JPG   lfront.JPG  
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #20

another

another couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
frontramp.JPG   lsideramp.JPG