Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
evy

Flat window vs curved wall

Yes I know I red a couple of threads about this issue, but in my case my fiberglass walls are slightly less curved then the "normal" OEM walls,

Take a look at my pictures.

I will be installing two 15"W x 24"H windows, one on each sides, and two 12"W x 20"H windows, one in the rear door (passenger side) and one in the side door (closer to the rear).

I live in Canada so everything is taxed and overpriced (compared to US prices) I will be buying most of my parts in the US but I needed to have the windows now, So I found a RV parts store that had them in hand at an ok price (you tell me) 120$ and 140$ each + 15% taxes.

So there is already a foam gasket behind the exterior window lip, I will be adding another 3/4" wide grey gasket (see pic) they called it "dom dom"
I will be removing the excess grey gasket (24h later) with a razor blade and finally sealing everything up with silicone. Again I have never done this before this is what they told me at the RV parts store. Do you have anything to add?

As you can see from the inside picture with the finishing frame, the 8 screws are all in the back and near the corners, I will add a 1.5"x1.5" wood stud around the opening and finishing off with temporary 1/4" plywood shims, I will be installing the finishing 1/4" plywood when the wiring and insulation is done.

Ok here's a question.
Can I seal the outside of the window like I mentioned earlier and maybe a week later remove the inside frame with the 8 screws, remove the wood framing and the plywood shims, to seal the small gap between the window and the outside fiberglass wall with silicone as a precaution then re-install the wood frame (adding industrial glue this time) + temporary plywood shims.
Once all that is done I can have the inside walls sprayed with 1.5" insulating foam, sealing the outside of the wood frame, so with all these precautions I will lower the chance of any leaks, right?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Flat window vs curved wall

Evy the only challenge I see with your planned installation is the sidewall curve---its a bit more severe than the typical steel-bodied van. Adding to that is the "clamps" holding the window frame to the body are seemingly only on the corners, the same locations you have the largest gaps.

I would remove existing foam seal from the window frame and use a thick bead of exterior grade silicone as the first step. Once applied install the "clamps" then let sit for several hours---this will be the initial sealing process. Because you'll have nothing but a silicone bead between the window and the body good contact will give you a very good seal against water etc.

Once its sat still for a few hours fill the upper and lower gaps with the same exterior grade silicone, tooling or working it to look good while filling those gaps. Be sure to clean any excess silicone off the body and/or window with mineral spirits etc---its easier now than after its cured or dried solid.

I hope this helps or if nothing else gives you other ideas how to best do this.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote