Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #1

Flooring Options

I'm about to install some kinda of flooring and need some assistance. Probably going with the wood floor look. Not sure on type yet, saw a floating type floor it Lowe's I really liked. I cant seem to find the answer I am looking for, so thought I would ask here.
The floor of the van is rhino linered. So after reading tons of info about different builds I dont know which way to go.
Thinking plywood base with the flooring over the top. Thought about reflectix under the plywood but dont want to have the squishy feeling.
So what have some of you guys done? Insulation strips between the ridges in the floor? What isulation between the floor and plywood?
Any links or info would be much appreciated.

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

Thats exactly what I did. Although most of my albums photos of the interior are complete history, Sportsmobile Forum - Rockman's Album: Rockman - Picture is still correct.

I have reflectix type insulation in the grooves, then 1/2" marine plywood, anti-slip rubber/aluminium laminate floor layer, then maple plywood on top.

Maybe not the best insulated, but seems pretty good.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

I gave the 1/2" foam insulation panel and 1/2" ply a shot for my temporary floor for a few months until I did my permanent flooring.
The 1/2" foam compressed and left an uneven floor, I imagine 5/8" ply would not flex as much and provide for a better surface.
There is much debate about reflectex and its ability to provide any insulation. As I understand it, if reflectex doesn't have an air space between the surface it's trying to insulate it is not effective.

My end result for final flooring was 5/8" A/C plywood with G-Floor vinyl.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #4

I know people have used various less expensive flooring options and are happy, but I saw a VW van last summer with flooring I liked and it was ALTROtransfloor.com
The rep explained the transportation line of flooring is built to flex and bend with a vehicle and some will hold up under heavy carts being moved on them. I suppose it depends on how your vehicle is used.

I think I priced it around $200+ shipping (from Cali) for my RB E350, starting behind from seats. Maybe they have end lots available at the factory.
Thinking of using a VanRug liner for base. I know it can be done cheaper but I'm finding I don't have much time to get interior where I want it- don't have a place to do it all myself.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

I have a trip coming up at the end of March. Will probably put reflextix down and 1/2 plywood for a temporary floor for this trip. Reflectix behind the stock panels on the wall since I already have them removed. . Once back from trip and it stops raining here. I'll do something more permanent.
Will give me something to go on.
PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

I realize all the info we need is on this forum.... Somewhere (the rabbit trails get overwhelming for me at times- TOTAL respect!).

Anyhow, I saw an Article last year that spec'd these materials, below. Not sure if this is in contradiction to what the Altro Transfloor rep told me or not (wanting flex in the flooring in a van)
Here is the flooring base info and he used laminate and that is free floating

*Cut and install foam board insulation

For the floor 4′ x 8′ sheets of 1” rigid foam insulation works best- pink sheets that will support some weight.

** Place Oriented Strand Board over the foam insulation

Lay 4′ x 8′ sheets of ½” OSB (oriented strand board) on top of the 1″ rigid foam insulation.

Although OSB doesn’t have a natural grain, look at the way the wood chips are aligned and make the longest side run from the front of the van to the back.

You’ll install the finished floor layer crosswise later on. Running them perpendicular to each other will make the floor more rigid.

OSB is similar to plywood, but costs less and has more strength. It’s usually used in housing construction for load-bearing applications.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/make-s...ng-insulation/
Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

I've used stall mat instead of plywood. It's a fairly inexpensive, thick and durable covering. I put several small throw rugs down on top of it that are easy to shake out / clean.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

A wet environment would be unfriendly to OSB over time. Marine or pressure treated would be a better alternative.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
A wet environment would be unfriendly to OSB over time. Marine or pressure treated would be a better alternative.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
I was thinking that last night after stripping the OEM wall cladding and identifying more water infiltration points...

Thinking about the OSB, not the whiskey. Tho a good bourbon is always welcome
Old 03-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Thought about reflectix under the plywood but dont want to have the squishy feeling.

Insulation strips between the ridges in the floor?

What insulation between the floor and plywood?

Any links or info would be much appreciated.

Plywood is 1/2" baltic birch......old 3/4" plywood ripped into furring strips and adhered to plywood using liquid nails.

Butyl sticky backed window flashing cut into strips and applied to furring strips to eliminate noise/squeaks.

Felt/rag carpet pad stapled to underside of floor to keep insulation off of metal van floor.

Furring strips interrupted to allow wiring to run under the floor.

Flooring is called Nautilex "decko-dot" boat deck flooring. Most of the inside of the van and door panels are covered with the same stuff using contact cement. Door panel shown to illustrate texture of decko-dots.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring insualtion floor