Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #131

What I have is called Rud-Grip. They are burly for sure. Their links have square X-section instead of round, so you have more edges hitting ice. They worked wonders on my F250. There's a lot of good products out there. But I do like these and they are easy to put on. You drape them over and clasp the back side. Then kind of center and tighten up. They you drive a little ways and tighten again and they are golden. I bet the cheapie Spider tighteners at Walmart would be a good addition.

Truck Tire Chains: Grip 4x4

Luckily my F250 chains will work on my E350. Same size tire.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #132

Garage
Thanks, Flux. Those look just like the setup I got from Les Schwab. Maybe I'll stick with them for a bit and see how they do. I was impressed with the ease of attachment when I put them on. But the RUDs I was looking at seem beefier and maybe even easier to apply.

RUD Classic V:

https://youtu.be/7o8Gx2GQVT0
Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #133

Wow, those are cake!! No rear buckle??

But I guarantee they never ever come out of the bag like that!!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #134

Winter has put a damper on me getting after it. Also kind of waiting for my top install so I can get after the interior more. So I have been working on a couple little things. Collecting all my electrical hardware, Insulation on the way, Pop Out rear windows, and a few other things. Time to get busy.

This is a quick little mod I did concerning an Aluminess Spare Tire Carrier. First a big thanks to CaptainVo for selling me his old one and Skyl330 for kindly hooking me up with the spacer. So Captain had no hinge strap on this one so I figured no problem, I will just make one. After mounting it up and looking it over, I decided to put my bracket making skills to work. Brackets hold the world together, and I have made quite a few in my career, so off I went.

So this also avoids drilling out and hammering the hinge pin. Yes I have to drill some holes in the door frame, but those are hidden and can easily be filled and touched up. I also like the way this supports the upright better and actually opposes the force of the tire. Seems like the Hinge Strap would rotate if the tire bounced. The aluminum does flex a bit with the bend in it, which could be a good thing as it will relieve strain on the screws.

This one is 0.125 Aluminum and attaches inside the door frame. I used sheet metal screws forward where the metal is double and Insert Nuts at the back and some washers underneath. It just clears the door with no rub. It's dang solid and I put a bit of pretension in the upright. Time will tell if it handles vibration and bouncing. I figure I could remake it out of lighter gauge steel and beef up the inserts. It seemed very sturdy with the tire on it though. Time will tell.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #135

Nice bracket! How about sandwiching the bracket between the hinge and body? No additional holes? May space the door out too far.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #136

I considered that, maybe with some thin steel. This way seemed very straight forward and if I messed it up, I could just fill the holes and touch it up and not really worry about it. I thought about a pipe clamp too, just bring the tag end inside the door and screw it down. My brain was just opposed to drilling the hinge for some reason.

I'm surprised at how solid it is. Hopefully it passes the vibration test of thousands of expansion joints and washboard dirt.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #137
Site Team

Nice solution to add some stability. My only concern might be that it limits any natural flex between the bumper and the body. Could it now transfer that motion to bracket/body bolt holes? Maybe add some high density rubber bushings?

Herb
Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Nice solution to add some stability. My only concern might be that it limits any natural flex between the bumper and the body. Could it now transfer that motion to bracket/body bolt holes? Maybe add some high density rubber bushings?

Herb

This is my fear for sure, that the screws or bracket will oblong and then....

I will have to put bigger inserts in!!

Gonna have to keep an eye on it. The carrier still flexes pretty good on the slam latch side.

I'll mark it here at 54k miles......
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #139

Very nice, no more worries about the Aluminess strap becoming egg shaped at the hinge. Does the door limiter stop the door before it contacts the bracket?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #140

Ummmm.....had to go check, but no, the door contacts the upright. The pivot point of the hinge gives some good clearance there.

Rattlecan High Heat Barbecue Black for the Win!!