Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #141

Here's my next bracket for hanging a 4D off the cross member and a piece of 2x2 angle spanning the frame. 3D printed terminal cover. I just need a refresher course on the press brake and onward! this one will get powdercoat.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #142

Killing two 36 hours in Fresno ain't all that great. The downtown is a bit of a mess and of course I was there on a holiday and it was a ghost town. Luckily Starbucks and a decent restaurant or two was open. Had a nice experience at SMB. Brian is a very good guy and took some time with me. I watched a nice retired couple who were giddy like school kids pick up their decked out sprinter 4x4 High top, it was a beauty.

The tech who did my build was super nice and very appreciative of the empty clean van to work with. I guess someone actually brought a van in there that literally had dog poop in it. My rig was washed and shined and the Top is Popped!!

Sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing. Spending all my money, spending long days on the road driving the van from Phoenix where I bought it, back and forth from El Cajon, and then 2 days in Fresno. Something I learned is that money comes and goes, time only goes......and I want to make sure that these guys have a magical childhood and we spend lots of time exploring beautiful places and making our lives an adventure.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #143
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
...and I want to make sure that these guys have a magical childhood and we spend lots of time exploring beautiful places and making our lives and adventure.
You nailed it. It's easy to get wrapped up in work and providing for the family, but it's the experiences they have with you that far outlast any toy you might buy them.

Congrats on the pop top!

Herb
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #144

Garage
That's awesome! Congrats on a great van.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #145

Well thank you. At this point it's mostly been about $$. But now I put in the sweat equity. I have a lot to do:

Replace windows I ruined
Rear pop outs
Install House battery
Electrical system
Stereo
Upfitter switches
Flooring
Insulation and sound deadening
Upholstery
Cabinets
2nd row buckets
Roof rack
Solar
Outside lighting
Bumpers
Ladder

It's a long list.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #146

Garage
Whoo hoo! Look at you! Congratulations on the pop top, what a blast. Really cute kids. They're having a great time already!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #147

Looking good Flux!

I spent about a 3 hours in Fresno this past summer. I can't imagine spending any more time than that. Hot, busy, dirty, etc.

Not a day goes by that I don't think a fair amount about all the amazing trips I've taken with my kids exploring this beautiful country, most of them in a van off the beaten path. Lots of days go by where I don't remember what happened with work, home, the daily grind, etc. You're absolutely right about time and money.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #148

That dreaded feeling after you spend all day building wiring harnesses, removing dash boards, figuring out how to get power from the junction box, pouring over your wiring book, and then finally buttoning everything up only to realize you forgot the antenna and the microphone.............DOH!

The wife threw down for a head unit, SiriusXM, and a nice little class D amp so I matched it to some decent alpine speakers and got busy. Part of the install was also going to be upfitter switches which I needed to build my own harness for (thanks MG!!) as well as deaden the doors and add insulation.

I was able to remove the dash by taking off the front two Steering Column bolts. With a little pressure there was just enough room to squeek the dash out. Ford made sure their connector whips where just long enough for a toddler to get their hands in there. Unscrewing the climate control unit almost made me cry. Deep Breaths.

Here's my Homemade wire harness plugged into the back of the Upfitter Switches. this took way more research than is practical but I learned a lot in the process and big thanks to MG for cluing me in here. Hopefully my hand done crimps stay put.

Test run with the Head unit mounted. The chaotic mess behind it hidden. I did solder all my connections.

Sound Deadening on the doors. I really wanted to try to get some insulation in there but with that window coming down, I just knew I would mess it up some how.

The Door Panel with 3M thinsulate SM600L. Hopefully this stuff works as good as the $$. No irritants in it though, so your lungs and skin are safe.

The finished Dash after taking it off a second time to connect the mic and antenna. I think I am gonna make a nice panel next to the switches and mount the mic and USB and a phone holder right there.

Simple stuff, but I am realizing that a home build is a series of small wins that add up big. I have had several pioneer HU's and they are nice, but I really wanted a volume knob. This Kenwood is a pretty nice unit with a lot of features. With a little amp behind it it makes those 6x8's sing pretty good.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Simple stuff, but I am realizing that a home build is a series of small wins that add up big.

That folks is the most succinct description of sanity preservation on a build I have ever heard.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #150

The other thing I am learning is to not get frustrated with all the extra time it takes to work out problems. Sportsmobile has everything worked out and has templates of everything. They have a playbook in place.

I gotta sit there and absorb it, look at pics of other builds, research materials and parts, then usually mess it up and then save myself.

For instance, I made my battery box the other day, then decided it was too flimsy and have to go from aluminum to steel. So I will do it twice. Good times.