Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #191

Well I slept on it and have some ideas, but I think it's time to move this one forward. There's just no easy way to do this right now, so away we go. And yeah, I am gonna get something up and then use it and I am sure it will get changed up.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #192

Taking a break from the 90 degree heat. I pretty much gave myself heat exhaustion yesterday and dehydrated. First hot day I worked outside. Van was 110 plus inside and all my work tables are in the sun. So I am moving slowly and taking a lot of breaks today.

So the wood panels are getting a vinyl covering, my first try at upholstry. I am doing OK, but there's some imperfections, but I like where this is going. It's a ford matched grey, a little on the dark side, but good none the less. NO TURNING BACK. More pics when I get the headliner back in and the panels screwed down proper like.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #193

As you can see, I have an empty slot below the pinch weld at the bottom where I can run wiring. It will get trimmed out eventually.

there will be exposed hardware because I want to be able to open up anything whenever I want and mess with things. I fully expect changes, additions, etc. Just trying to get to a usable confortable state so I can relax and enjoy a bit.

You can also see that I covered the two little rear windows and a partial on the big rear window on the drivers side. This is so the kids have a view to the sides and forwards. I will make some blackout shades that will slide back in there so the big void will get used.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #194

Garage
Nice work! It's looking good and even if it isn't "perfect" none of them are. I think that's the difference between paying someone to do the work vs doing it yourself. They get to know what's not perfect and not you which means you can sleep at night without dreaming about it.

Edit - I'd still rather do it myself and do it as best I can...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #195

I have learned a ton so far trying to do this conversion. Everything from metal work to upholstry to electrical. It's a blast really. There is a bit of envy for those that can buy them off the shelf, but it's in my nature to give it a try.

I was warned about some of the SMB nuances and I definitely found them. Broke a couple things but just screwed em back together for now. I am less than impressed. But I do understand what they have to accomplish. They have solutions to all the issues I have faced and solved my own way, and there's where I get envious.

The windows are a big head scratcher without the factory trim. Hopefully down the road I will wake up some morning camping in the woods and have the perfect solution.

I can't wait to rip the SMB headliner out, it turned to absolute slop when I tucked the panels behind it. Fine for now, but I have another solution.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #196
Wbp

Windows openings can be a little difficult. I only had one window to deal with and what I did was make a frame then I shaped it to fit the contour of the side of the van. I made the frame so it had the left and right side of the frame long enough to attach to the horizontal frame of the van wall. That held the frame in place against the van and then attached the panel to the frame which pull the panel in and shaped it to the van body. Not sure if that makes sense it took a little time to do it and I questioned myself a couple of times in the process but it turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #197
Wbp

Here is another shot sorry I did not get a picture of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #198

Makes perfect sense Wbp and thank you. Looks to me like an aftermarket window, which would have a nice flat flange area to link up to, but I bet it was still not trival and the panel wasn't parallel to the trim. Unfortunately, the stock windows are a bit tricky with all the formed metal around them and then you have the little bolts and such. It's kind of a mess without the stock interior.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #199

After too much research I ended up with the Dometic Dual Zone 65l. The new model is black and off white which was much coveted for my van color scheme over the older blue model. Found one on an RV site and ordered it up. They drop shipped it from Dometic to my door in a couple days. Dometic is down near Fontana. Plugged it in and it is pretty quiet, we shall see how it cools when I get home. Since I want a transformer style, I want to be able to move this to the back of the rig, but for camping, it'll sit in the obvious spot behind the driver. Gonna wire up a 12 volt and 120 volt receptacle in the pillar cover. it's a whole lot bigger than I thought.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #200

Remember this since it's your first build, function over fashion. and that will allow you to excuse your temporary mistakes because you will redo it down the road after you figure out exactly how you want to work and that only comes with experience
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote