Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #11

Re: FNG tries again. Ford E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeld

it's like they didn't have an engineer or someone with an eye towards marketing and sales write their technical marketing and sales copy. How infuriating.

I'm interested in the 8" x 30-something" tank, but A) I can't figure out which one that is, and B) I don't think that capacity is big enough for me.

Is it this one? http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=
It's the one Rockbender linked to above. If you scroll down on that GoWesty page, there is a detailed dimensional drawing. What's not to love?

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ i miss seeing the old pic of your rig in your avatar
thanks man - I'm sure the avatar will be resurrected at some point. I loved that van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Shenrie: There is a new thread by rockbender about installing his propane tank here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
yep, seen that, but thanks for the link been watching to see if it heads a direction that will end up helping me, lol. main issue is that im a cheap ass. i was given a 7 gallon dot approved tank, but the ac and heater lines are in the way of an easy install, or it would already be done. a smart man would buy the appropriate sized tank...i might just reroute the lines. sadly, an unexpected home disaster has money allotted for my espar & propane tank install going to kitchen renovation
I contemplated trying to go a cheaper route on the propane tank, but I figure that I would either end up with something too small that I always had to refill or too large that I would have to compromise a stealthy mount. Buy once, buy right. Like Boywonder, I'm trying my best to not make this rig look like an RV. Sorry to hear about Espar fund - good luck with the kitchen!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
Site Team

I wonder if you could stealth-ify a propane acces door if you had a lower band of black spray-on liner? Spray the lower 10"-12" of the body, including the access door, black and it may be far less conspicuous.

Just a thought.

Herb
Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM   #14

Garage

The main problem with not having a propane access door (or having the valves hanging down under the rocker panel) is you have to crawl on the ground to open and close the main shut off valve every time you want to drive the van ( at least I would). This could be avoided by installing a 12v solenoid valve in series with the main shutoff, like they do on motor homes. Then only the propane attendant would need to crawl under.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #15

great starting platform!
dont worry about the 6.0, but get a set of guages asap to monitor EOT and ECT, and FICM Voltage at the minimum. if the EOT/ECT start getting too far apart 12-15* if i remember correctly, you might want to look into upgrading or deleting the EGR cooler, and installing a new oil cooler soon, cheaper to do all that before any major failure that requires pulling the heads.
eric3187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #16

Yo, kids

It's been a helluva almost 4 months since I bought the van. Too much drama for your momma for me to go into detail here, but I'm finally at a spot to start working on this project again.

First thing I need is new headlights. Dear Lord, the stock ones are absolute sh*t. Mine are the kind where you have to replace the entire housing, not just the bulb, and I did, and I still can't see anything. I keep the high beams on at all times, and I feel like I still barely see 25' in front of me.

I saw the thread "Has anyone tried these headlights" but does anyone have any other suggestions? It's damn near not safe to drive.
sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #17

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=92027

Tried them in some tow-trucks. Work great and hold up well. Normally the vibration combined with slamming the tilt-hoods causes a short life on Halogens and HIDs. You can buy them through NAPA.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

What did you replace the OEM housings with---aftermarket & cheap? What sort of bulbs are being used?

CarringB's LED's lamps are pretty awesome but its odd hearing someone complain about composite H/L's because so many say they're far superior to sealed beam.

Before totally doing away with the stock configuration determine why the replacements aren't at least as good as OEM.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #19

I just went to AutoZone and bought the Sylvania "extra super awesome bright" whatever they had in stock. Not sure about the bulbs as they are the kind where the entire capsule/housing needs to be replaced.
sandeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=92027

Tried them in some tow-trucks. Work great and hold up well. Normally the vibration combined with slamming the tilt-hoods causes a short life on Halogens and HIDs. You can buy them through NAPA.
I see these LED headlights only draw 1.8 amps on low beam. Any idea what a standard headlight draws? I tried a Google search but didn't come up with anything. I'm guessing around 6-8 amps?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote