Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

ford cargo vs. wagon seat mounting and seatbelt anchors

I want to start with a brief note of thanks, this forum has inspired me to start my first build.

Amoung other things part of the justification for the van vs. a trailer will be the ability to carry 6-7 passengers (infrequently). As camping ammenities I need to sleep 2 parents and 2 kids, as well as the usual small fridge, stove, storage etc.

Because of the need to seat 6-7 passengers I am considering starting with a factory wagon rather than a cargo van. I have been searching the forum for information regarding mounting and anchor points for the factory seats and seat belts; here is what I have found

1) the upper seat belt anchor points exist in both cargo and wagon models
2) the lower seat mounting reinforcement (shell) exists in both cargo and wagon however, only the wagon models have provision (threaded holes) for attachment on the floor.

Can anyone confirm if this information is correct?

waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Garage
Re: ford cargo vs. wagon seat mounting and seatbelt anchors

My 2009 E250 cargo van doesn't have any threaded holes in the floor.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
My 2009 E250 cargo van doesn't have any threaded holes in the floor.
You know, you might want to look from underneath the van. On some Ford vehicles, the anchors are there, but the just didn't make the corresponding holes in the body floor pan.

Herb
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

My 2008 EB cargo does NOT have any rear seat (floor) or shoulder belt nuts (side of roof) but that could be just the newer vans. I have heard people say that they had them, I wish mine did but it doesn't. It may depend on options or even 250 vs 350 things like that ad up as far as costs go so maybe to save a bit they stopped having them if they did need them.

The floor is not a big deal as you can make a plate with nuts on it and then either bolt or weld it to the floor to hold it in place. Or just use big washers and nuts on each bolt. The shoulder belt bolts are not as easy unless you think you could use a proper sized nutsert or something. Another thing to consider is windows. Some people do not ride well without them so you might have to add a window to at least the drivers side.

If you think you want a window van I would get one. They already have the seats and belts (be careful there are cargo window vans with no seats or panels and they might not have the bolt holes) tend to be less abused and have nicer options.

Good luck...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Also keep in mind Ford sells a "Crew-van" option, which is a Cargo van already equipped with a 2nd row of seats, and also the window(s) in the side door.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

You didn't ask for opinions but I'll give you mine, since your needs are similar to mine. Unless you can afford to spend a LOT of money and time converting a cargo van to hold passengers, I would strongly advise a passenger van. Much easier to set up a passenger can for cargo/camper or whatever with some configuration of rear seats than to set up a cargo van to handle people. This is, like I said, unless you spend a lot of $ on it, as in having SMB or the like do it. The factory passenger vans are safer from the factory for passengers anyway, with proper seat belt and seat mountings. Hope this helps.
Also, I did the 4 bucket seat setup with 2 additional van front seats, and used big washers and bolts through the floor, since I couldn't use the bench mounting holes, but I used the factory rear belts/mountings, etc. I consider them much safer than anything home built.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Also keep in mind Ford sells a "Crew-van" option, which is a Cargo van already equipped with a 2nd row of seats, and also the window(s) in the side door.
I like that crew van thing. I only have seen one when I was looking but its a nice option.

That van had really odd options. a sliding door with window, no back windows, a chrome front bumper, but no aero lights and a black grill, painted rear step bumper with backup sensors, carpet on the floor for the whole van, but vinyl seats, radio delete, forged wheels but a 5.4 with a 4 speed transmission.
Power windows and locks but no cruise control. Someone had ordered it special kept it a few years and ordered another one almost like it but with a V-10 and hinge doors.

..Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #8

Search "Large Family Sportsmobile".

If I could start over, I would start with a passenger van. As previously mentioned, trying to turn a cargo van into a people mover is very expensive. Send me an email if you have any questions.

Eric
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies.

There are obviously a few variables on which vans got anchors and which didn't. I was hoping there would be a clear "tell" to know if a van had them or not. The cargo vans tend to be a lot cheaper with lower mileage (although maybe harder miles) so my plan was to price out a cargo vs. a wagon. I wasnt sure which would cost more, but I def knew starting with the wagon would be quicker, easier, and probably more pleasant as a A-B passenger vehicle. Unless as stated above you spend big dollars.

I didn't ask for opinions, but they are greatly appreciated. You knew exactly where I was headed ...

I didn't know about the "crew" option, It nice to have another search for the classifieds. Thanks

My prior searches pulled up the smb for large family ... Good stuff

Through the years my brother and some friends have had westy's. There is lots of things I like about them but the few traits that don't "fit" for me has kept me from buying one for the last 3 years. If I could get a eurovan with a vr6 and a 5spd OR a vanagon with Subaru power a 5 spd and good A/C I would probably give in.

For my home built I am considering 4 captains (or 2nd row bench) and a rear bench/bed. From my searches here it sounds like a chateau or traveler would be the ideal starting point.

The problem is that in a westy you can add a 2nd row bench for two and still have room for cabinets (without access until bench removed) I don't think the ford 2nd row seating (bench or captains) would allow this or could it work?. I like the westy (rb50?) layout except for the rear passengers being so far away without a second row. My bud had a 2nd row seat for his vanagon that he would set up under the awning like a little couch when we arrived. It was a good set up except the lack of shoulder belts.

I still need to do some drawings, I want to try to squeeze everything into an RB so that its easier to manage as a A-B people mover.

Another thought, if the first two rows of seats would recline flat, (captains or captains plus bench). You could create a bed platform in the front and then have kitchen and storage in the rear. I was wanting to put a table between the first 2 rows also so the table could form part of the bed. Typically factory buckets don't recline this way, and I would be very surprised if the bench did. But if they did this seems like a good option to me. With a PH bed as well.
waren is offline   Reply With Quote