Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Re: Ford transit van?

from Ford's Website: Ford Transit Connect

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #12

So:

Transit Connect == mini

Transit == full size

I predict there will be much confusion, especially since every reference I've seen in the United States to the mini Transit Connect has just been shortened to Transit up until now!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Here is a picture of the Ford Transit connect. They are in Europe but not in the USA yet. This will be the platform that takes over the E series van.
My local Ford Truck dealer (New Castle, Delaware) has 5 of them, in stock, for sale now. I even called them to verify that they're selling them, and they said Yes. They're even listed on their website....

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
Old 11-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
So:

Transit Connect == mini

Transit == full size

I predict there will be much confusion, especially since every reference I've seen in the United States to the mini Transit Connect has just been shortened to Transit up until now!
I am already confused??? I know the picture I pulled was of a van from Mexico. I think they have the larger version in Europe and the small version in the USA right now??? I am confused as well.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #15

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
North America
From launch, the Transit has never been officially sold in North America - despite the third generation being largely developed in Dearborn by Ford of Europe engineers. The model's only foray into the Americas so far has been in Mexico where the Transit debuted in 2007.

Ford has stated that the fourth generation Transit platform will be global, also acting as a replacement for the long running E-Series range in the United States and Canada. It is expected to be released by 2012. In the interim, Ford introduced the smaller, mechanically unrelated Transit Connect to the North American market for the 2010 model year.

Due to its four cylinder diesel engines, manual transmission, lower weight and more aerodynamic design, the Transit is considerably more fuel efficient, although less powerful than the E-Series, which is a mainstay with a V8 and automatic transmission. Currently the E-Series competes in North America with the Dodge Sprinter range, which is a badge engineered version of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - one of the Transit's main rivals in Europe.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #16

Ford has built the Transit for decades. Here are a couple of Class B Transit camper conversions for sale in Australia:

http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-car ... D-4816.htm

http://www.rvlinks.com/photo_Ford_Trans ... ralia.html

Here's a new Class C:

http://europeanmotornews.com/2010/09/08 ... motorhome/

Here's a Transit motorhome enthusiasts' site:

http://transitvanclub.co.uk/transitclubcamper.htm

As for the Transit connect, it seems that in Canada they are offering it in electric and natural gas versions.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #17

This photo is from Fords UK website. If you look really closely you will find out how they get the gear shift on the left hand side.
Attached Thumbnails
ford transit.jpg  
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 AM   #18

One thing I was thinking:

If ford changes to Transit, they will be leaving a free run for GM to fill the Gap with the Duramax Epress van... The hauling capacity/strength of the European transit is far below the E-Series.

As for the Transit competing with the Sprinter well, that too is going to be tough. Just as an example in Europe there are less and less Ford Transit based RV's most are using Fiat Ducato, Iveco, Sprinter platforms... I hardly saw any Ford Transit based RV's at the Swiss Camping Show...

It will be fascinating to see what the future brings...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
This photo is from Fords UK website. If you look really closely you will find out how they get the gear shift on the left hand side.
LOL you mean by mirror-imaging the photo? I wonder if they can magically do that for the entire vehicle? Yeah, I doubt it....