Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Fridge platform design feedback

I purchased an Edgestar 63 Qt top loading fridge/freezer to put behind the driver seat. I want to build a cabinet/platform for it to sit on about 18 inches tall so I can have a compartment under it that will store a coleman portable toilet. (simple picture attached) it will also have doors over the compartments.

The box will be fastened to the yet to be installed plywood floor and the fridge anchored on each side using a bracket behind the factory handles down to the floor probably seat and seatbelt anchors

Does this seem like a sound idea? Even if the fridge is tied down do you think it will be too top heavy for the cabinet?
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge_Cabinet.jpg  

Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Re: Fridge platform design feedback

Cool! I don't know anything about this fridge, but a few thoughts off the top of my head:

- Make the platform a little bigger than the base of the fridge, and put a rail around it. You'll still need to strap the fridge somehow, but the rails will prevent a lot of sliding.

- You'll want some lateral support for the box - are you closing in the back of it? Just having the pieces of wood all in the same direction won't be very strong for side-to-side movement.

- Size the porta-potty compartment well. You don't want that thing sliding around You also don't want to store much else in there with the toilet, so don't make the compartment any bigger than you need it (maybe some room in front for tp). Remember that the door or hinges will probably infringe on the size of the opening.

- Remember that the seats angle back, so make sure that your planned height and position will allow the top of the fridge to open. It's a pain in the butt to have to hold the lid open while grabbing food, because the lid won't open all the way.

Good luck! This is the size of project that allows you to experiment. Build one, then next year build another if this one doesn't work out like you want it to. You're only out a bit of money for the wood (and it can likely be re-used, anyway).

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Sounds like a great Idea to me. I'm sure the frig has handles on the side you could use to strip it down and Just like Mike said some sort of a flange that the frig would sit in would work great!
How heavy is it empty?

Ron
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #4

weight appears to be about 70 pounds

I like the idea of unstraping it and taking outside
just need a longer 12v lead

stand/cabinet could be designed to use as a countertop/seat

cool buddy!
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #5

I just spent a while reading up on that fridge/freezer. Seems like a great unit at a reasonable price.

Are you sure you want the store your toilet that close to your food? I was planning to locate my toilet as far to the back of the van as possible... worried it will give off oder.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, nice to hear I am the right track

As far as being too close to the food, I think germs are going to be flying around regardless of where the toilet is located but if I recall, depending on the floor plan, SMB has the toilet right next to the fridge in a cabinet. I have read many reviews, and all, for the most part, say that the toilet does not leak or produce smells if used with the chemicals.

Luke
Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

I have the same fridge. If you turn it over you will see there are bolt / mounting holes you can use. So since you are mounting it on ply, (as I did), you can use these holes to bolt through the ply to mount it. There are strong threaded holes on the compressor end of the unit, and self tapping on the other. But you can also remove the feet and bolt through where they were as well.
It's very heavy once full of food & drinks ~150lbs, so while the cabinet will hold the weight, you need to make sure it's bolted to the van well enough to stop it tipping over in a sharp corner or brake your back (since it's behind you) in hard braking / accident.
I also seem to remember I didn't want to sink it into any mounting, but I can't remember exactly why. I think it may be because it also breathes from the underneath as well as the sides. But I'll need to go out and check that, and I can't be bothered at the moment since it's raining.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

I have to agree w/ MJ and SheepShagger, If you build this design, the cabinet needs to be pretty solidly attached o the floor and the van walls, and it needs a sheer panel (on the front or back) that will help with the lateral "racking" of the cabinet under braking and acceleration. Your strapping cleats would also need to be mounted to the FLOOR /w through bolts so that 150 pound cooler won't pull lose and kill you in case of an accident.

Hope for the best plan for the worst... Luke
campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote