Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

Getting a custom made bumper

I have been having a hard time getting a fab shop in South Florida to weld me a custom bumper to look like an Aluminess. Is there anyone from the east side of the country that can point me in the right direction? Shipping is very expensive and I was hoping someone closer could help do this for me. Thanks

dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Getting a custom made bumper

Ask Chris at U-Joint Offroad. He works with a guy who does all welding stuff for him. He is in North Carolina.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #3

If you can't find a flexible or creative fab shop, try making a mock-up in coroplast or heavy cardboard, held together with packing tape. If you then take the templates to a shop they might have less difficulty envisioning the process and how much they need to charge you. Any shop can cut flat plate and weld it together. You can keep the factory front bumper on to use as support for the mock-up until it's rigid enough to be self supporting. Harder to do if you want to make it super angular and complex but a basic solid bumper should need to be no more than 5 or 6 pieces.

See
Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
I try not to post these types of topics, but what bumper is this?

for an example.

A plate top, cut in a curve to fit the body contours, another flat plate for the bottom and a shaped flat vertical-ish plate to bridge the two. The you'll need two heavy brackets cut to fit the inside dimensions or maybe just heavy square tube that will bolt up to the frame horns. If you or someone you know is CAD trained, the mock-up can be converted to a file anybody with a plasma table can use to cut the pieces.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Awesome. Thanks!
dudewithvan is offline   Reply With Quote