Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #11

Re: Has anyone converted a slider to barn doors

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

51,000 miles 16-18mpg
jhpsurfboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpsurfboards
I am just starting, but I'm already in love with my van(and I don't have kids). She's already gotten me and my friends out of some tough spots, wouldn't trade her for the world. The ultimate surfmobile!! Thanks for the advise.
Nothing wrong with that, sounds like you've got what you want which is awesome. I just thought I would point out a couple of things about the sliders that a lot of people don't think about before they get them. It sure would be nice if someone would make a minivan style electric slider opener/closer like modern minivans have. Yes, it sounds a little 'wimpy', but I'm never walking in and out of my van without something in my hands, and that would make it silent too. We had a Honda Odyssey for awhile that spoiled us.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #13

A friend of mine just bought one of those Honda vans, I love the double sliders! He is looking for someone that can make it a pop top.
51,000 miles 16-18mpg
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
A friend of mine just bought one of those Honda vans, I love the double sliders! He is looking for someone that can make it a pop top.
Derek at Colorado Camper Vans can, if someone like Fiberine makes the fiberglass top. I kinda doubt it for a Honda minivan though, not really any market for one I bet.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

Colorado Camper Vans pop top looks awesome. I'm definantly going that route for my van. I have a SMB shop very near me in Austin but I doubt they do the quality of work I've seen from CCV although I've only seen pictures. The top is also taller and longer, which is great for someone 6'4". I do have some concerns about how cutting the entire top out would effect the rigidity of the body. Do you have any opinions on this?
51,000 miles 16-18mpg
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
... I do have some concerns about how cutting the entire top out would effect the rigidity of the body. Do you have any opinions on this?
Check DaveB's posts about body cracks, and that's with an SMB-sized hole. Dave does take his van places most people don't though.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13596&hilit=+crack

Herb
Old 05-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #17

Herb's (and Dave's) concerns are important, but luckily he is about the only one I know of that's had problems with stress cracks. As Herb said, Dave takes his van a lot of places most of us don't, and he does it a lot too.

Derek (CCV) does NOT cut the whole top out. He only cuts a hole from the support right above the driver/passenger's head back to the support about 2 feet forward of the rear door (on a regular body van) and probably 4 feet on an extended. In fact, he doesn't cut a hole as big as SMB does. Also, you should find some of his stuff on Youtube (DSW4X4 is his username). He does some extreme wheeling in his old 7.3 window van, which was his first pop--top experiment I think. He still has the same van as a daily driver. I've ridden in it. It is stout.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #18

I tend to forget how much useful information there is available on you tube. Those CCV tops look awesome, And I didn't realize how much of the roof they left in tact. I'm sure I won't be doing the type of four wheeling Dave does, mine primarily consists of beach driving, soft sand, no rock crawling. Thanks for the advise guys
51,000 miles 16-18mpg
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #19

I converted my 1990 E350 from slider to barn doors....doors fit opening no problem...cut out slider mechanism on top....cut out slider mechanism on bottom with sawmill.....make door hinge backing brackets...not that hard.....

The hard part-filling in slider groove in side of van....used a pipe that matched radius....and get a good-GOOD body man to do it and not warp side of van with welding heat...which also can be fixed by a good body man....he had to do it on mine when welder heated metal too much.....

total cost about $2500
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Colorado Camper Vans pop top looks awesome. I'm definantly going that route for my van. I have a SMB shop very near me in Austin but I doubt they do the quality of work I've seen from CCV although I've only seen pictures. The top is also taller and longer, which is great for someone 6'4". I do have some concerns about how cutting the entire top out would effect the rigidity of the body. Do you have any opinions on this?
I have a top from CCV and can attest to the quality of work. They do cut the entire factory roof out but weld in cross members and supports for structure. I rock crawl the hell out of my van and can't even hear a squeak or rattle out of the roof /pop top to indicate that there is flex happening. I would definitely recommend their tops and Derek is a great guy to work with.
sidetrak06 is offline   Reply With Quote