Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #1

Help me decide on a floorplan

Hi,

I just got a 2013 E250 Quigley 4x4 5.4 cargo van extended body.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4725.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	13241

I copied this post from my presentation post in the "welcome mat" section of the forum.

Our idea is to build the van during 2017 to start using it on 2018

We would really love to do a west's (50) interior layout, since the van is an extended body we think we can fit a porta potty or cassette in a small enclosed room (more like a big closet) at the back, just for rainy nights, emergency's and for my little girls!!! we would have to go over the bed to get to it or go from the outside.

The current ruff plan is:
West's layout.
Pop top. (probably CCV medium)
Swivel seats. (just read that i can`t doit on the drivers seat with a manual transfercase, is there a way around it? i really want 2 swivel seats)
Sportsmobile type windows (were can i get them?)
Water tank on the spare tire location, as big as it can be.
Gasoline powered waco or eberspacher hydronic. (where to mount it?)
Outside shower.
Waeco coolmatic CRX80
Portable cooktop.
3 125w solar panels (21amp in total) with a 20 amp controller, would that be ok? i already have those, don`t want to get another controller. battery capacity: open to suggestions.
Awning.

I would be cool if i could turn the rear par of the bed in to a back facing bench with seat belts and a side window so i could set 7 people for short travels.

We want to take a couple of months to get suggestions on the layout for our needs, 2 adults, 2 small kids and some sort of bathroom.

We are open to all suggestions since we are new to the van world and more used to camper's

Thanks.

Francisco Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

I am assuming part of the reasoning for the 50 layout is front facing seats for the kids. Since you have an EB, have you thought of just adding 2 rear captains chairs? I am thinking something similar to the EB27 layout as seen here:

I really like the walkthrough layout because it allows my SMB to be really multipurpose as well.

I like that I can throw a bike inside quickly without hooking up a bike rack, or haul lumber without a trailer. Recently we camped in a spot that was kind of a Awkward exit through the barn doors so we just used the rear doors for entry/exit and it worked out great to have that as an option.

Just some thoughts.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #3

One more floor plan idea. All depends on what you want. We really like the side dinette that can be left up and does not block the isle.
Attached Thumbnails
VAN LAYOUT 20160413.jpg  

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the help and the two interesting points that we will take into account.
I was playing around with the Sportsmobile "design your own" app and came up with this:

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2016-10-10 a las 6.54.49 p.m..jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	13243
I placed a small cabinet behind the drivers seat (i only need room for a small sink and one portable stove) to move everything forward an allow more room in the back for the porta potti.
What do you guys think?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Garage
Well you either have to walk across the bed to use potty when people are sleeping in it or go in and out 2 sets of doors to access the bathroom. Kinda defeats the commodity of having an indoor bathroom if you have to go outside to access it.

For your needs maybe something like the 27 layout with the closet replaced with the potty? Maybe move sink forward and where that layout shows sink go floor to roof with fridge/microwave and/or storage. That way potty door can open all the way and block aisle view from front with same door. Like the van rally has for sale: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...top-18125.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Coddou View Post
Hi,...we think we can fit a porta potty or cassette in a small enclosed room (more like a big closet)...
...Outside shower.

We are open to all suggestions since we are new to the van world and more used to camper's

Thanks.
Greetings Francisco and best wishes on your project. Looks like a great foundation.

I wanted to share the "Closet" that my wife designed and Van Specialties built into our floorplan. Here is a shot of it closed (and a link to the post over at my build thread here at SMB forums if you wish to dig deeper.)

The approximate area is 54"H x 30"W x 18"D and it houses the potty, shower, and toiletries to support both functions. We can shower inside if the weather turns, but most of the time we do so under the cover of our tarp & walls out the slider.

My wife luvs the simplicity and ease of setup and it takes nothing away from the usability of the rig otherwise as it is so compact.

: ) Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #7

27 looks like a good option, i would only worry about the cabinet space.
accrete, i like your solution, i'm going to explore that idea and see if it plays well with what i want.
Thanks for everyone's input, it's really helpful.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

Hi again, still thinking about floor plans,

Since we have the idea to get a portable cooktop to cook outside every time we can, we are exploring this idea:

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2016-11-05 a las 21.18.54.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	13728
The bathroom would be something like this:

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2016-11-05 a las 21.25.07.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	13729
The portable cooktop would be on top of the closet when close.
I think i would still get way more storage room than 27, and a full standing height bathroom.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Coddou View Post

Pop top. (probably CCV medium)

Swivel seats. (just read that i can`t doit on the drivers seat with a manual transfercase, is there a way around it? i really want 2 swivel seats)

Sportsmobile type windows (were can i get them?)

3 125w solar panels (21amp in total) with a 20 amp controller, would that be ok? i already have those, don`t want to get another controller. battery capacity: open to suggestions.

Thanks.
The CCV medium top is an excellent choice....you can get insulated canvas as an option as well

One way to do a driver's side swivel is to incorporate buttons/electronic transfer case shifting......have no idea on the specifics but the folks at Agile offroad can answer those questions.

For CR Laurence windows PM member 1der

Your solar setup will probably work fine, since only in really extreme cases will panels put out anything near their rated current...like in very cold weather with lots of reflective snow around in direct sunlight

......as many amp-hours as you can fit/afford.....and consider AGM batteries......what sort of loads are you planning on having? Microwave? coffee maker? Fridge?

Many of us here have 300-400 AH and 300W of solar.....good for at least a few days out usually, depending on loads and sunlight.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The CCV medium top is an excellent choice....you can get insulated canvas as an option as well

One way to do a driver's side swivel is to incorporate buttons/electronic transfer case shifting......have no idea on the specifics but the folks at Agile offroad can answer those questions.

For CR Laurence windows PM member 1der

Your solar setup will probably work fine, since only in really extreme cases will panels put out anything near their rated current...like in very cold weather with lots of reflective snow around in direct sunlight

......as many amp-hours as you can fit/afford.....and consider AGM batteries......what sort of loads are you planning on having? Microwave? coffee maker? Fridge?

Many of us here have 300-400 AH and 300W of solar.....good for at least a few days out usually, depending on loads and sunlight.
I think i'll keep the transfer case stick and forget about tú ning the driver seat around unles there is a way to have them bothe, i really like the manual shifter and the manual hubs, makes me feel safer!!!

Fridge, inverter and hydronic heater fans, i'm thinking on somethingnlike 300 ah of batterys. Somewhere down the road i would like to charge electrical bicycles, i think that this would requiere a way bigger system.
Thanks.

Tags
layout