Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Help to trim DIY Penthouse

fHello everybody

I am embarking on a new build. She is a 2000 7.3, 125,000 miles, RB. One day after registering her I drove to Denver and cut a hole in the roof. She now boasts a used PH top.

I need some help trimming out the PH rails/lift mechanism and fore/aft ledges. Does anyone have any detailed pics of these areas to illuminate how I should go about trimming this out?

I am also curious as to what type of material should be used. Is it a combination of materials? Headliner, trunk liner etc... What is the order of installation (flashing)?

Should cover up the spring channels with a protective barrier or just material over to the tack strip?

Is there a nailing strip (wood attached in the upper corner of the wall roof junction to pull the underside material to and then let it drape down?

I would like this to appear as closer to stock as possible, but am always open to improvements. It seems like I should allow relatively easy access to the PH mechanism should the electric lift go out.

I have a couple days to gather my materials as I am waiting for a replacement actuator from smb.

Any advice, photos, or emotional support will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

vantron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

Where are you located?

Most of the trim for the lift mech is automotive velour. There are a number of typical trim pieces that are thin plywood (or OSB, yuck) covered with velour or 1/8" foam and velour. Headliner material will also work well for some of those trim pieces.

SMB just has the velour trim right on top of the springs, etc.

I have a couple of SMB trim pieces that you can have for free if you happen to be in So Cal...not worth shipping......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

I am in Salida, Colorado.
Thanks for such a quick response. I have scoured your thread 'popping my top' and feel honored to have your input here.

When you fabricated the panels to cover the front cut for the PH, do the two pieces just but against each other?

I appreciate the offer of your old trim but the commute may not be worth it.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantron View Post
I am in Salida, Colorado.
Thanks for such a quick response. I have scoured your thread 'popping my top' and feel honored to have your input here.

When you fabricated the panels to cover the front cut for the PH, do the two pieces just but against each other?

I appreciate the offer of your old trim but the commute may not be worth it.

....the commute is not worth it.....

Not sure what you are asking me..........but yes the two plywood pieces are glued and stapled together using PVA glue and pneumatic narrow crown staples.
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

I am trying to visualize how the front of the PH is put back together. There is a trim piece that is under the lower Jbolt hangers that flashes over the stock headliner. This is the piece that I believe you stapled the 90degree corner to.

I am curious if the upper piece, that creates the shelf, and is on top of the roof in front of the opening simply butts to the lower one? If so, did you shim under this, (on top of the metal) to stabilize the point where they meet. Also, did you find it necessary to shim under the actual J bolt brackets behind the cross member to keep them horizontal and stable?

I am planning on just using some 1/4" sheet goods to make these panels, and was hoping to find a foam backed material to cover them with.

Did you recreate the smb ph interior trim or create your own?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #6

I just checked back with your 'popping my top' thread and noticed that I have the upper and lower pieces reversed as to which has the 90degree attached to it. This will most likely make it easier to place the brackets from the bottom, install the headliner cab trim piece, then drill down from the top to pierce the lower trim, and remount the brackets. I think...

Your thread clearly has some helper spring retainer brackets. My PH does not have these. What is their purpose, and do I need them?
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

I chopped up and reused the factory passenger van headliner...which is not something you have with a cargo van.....so I didn't use some of the SMB trim, as the factory headliner is much higher quality.

If I can find a few minutes, I'll snap a couple of pics of the interior trim when I get home.....
2003 Honda Element
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

Much appreciated. A picture is worth a thousand words. I have my eyes out locally for a smb to reverse engineer the ph trim from but this may take some time as I live out in the sticks. I am really trying to get an order of operations determined and then decide what and how much fabric I will need before I drive down to the city, which is about 3hours one way!

Tags
diy, fabric, penthouse