Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

High top conversion???

Who has had a high top conversion done? What company did you use? What did it cost? Has anyone one had the camper top installed with the bed conversion up top?

mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #2

Re: High top conversion???

I'm in the process of doing it myself. Top is on, now doing the buildout inside. I used Fiberine, you can check out my thread on the build. SUPER CAMPER

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #3

I had Fiberine install their 24" Bubble Top on mine. Also had them add some wood to the top section when making it to make it easier to mount things. Nice folks. Prices vary depending on what you want and if you add windows and other items they offer. Check out my photo gallery or my van is on their webpage as one of their examples before the windows:
http://fiberine.com/GVMR/Full_Size_Van_Tops.html

I then had Derek from Colorado Camper Van add windows and build a custom fold out bed up there. While Derek is a nice guy and his bed idea was clever, the quality of the bed sucks and it damn near could have caused a tragedy the last time out. The bed came crashing down just missing me as I was sitting below leaning forward for something at the time. It caused my brother to fall to the futon below. Very close call! Be wise and choose your interior builder carefully based on years of experience in the business, my opinion at least. No Joke! There are some good ones out there just do your homework.

The high top doesn't look as cool as a pop-top but is very functional. Adds unwanted height for off-roading with low trees but offers better temp control in harsh conditions. Also no setup time for standing at stops.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

KTMRider this has to be the very first time I've read here anything less than positive about Derek and CCV's. Have you addressed the crashing bunk issue with him and if so what was the result?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #5

Do you have a picture of the custom fold out bed? I'm looking for ideas for my own bed, hopefully without the crashing down part.

Thanks.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

i also went with the 24" bubble top from Fiberine for our 2010 Chevy AWD 1500 regular body van. We had it installed by Van Specialties in Portland Oregon as we live on the coast. I am pleased with the quality of the fiberglass finish and design of the top. It's great to take a step back from the cab and stand up anytime you wish back there. According to the gang at VS keeping part of the original roof is a common practice. In our case with the RB van we have ~9 feet on the floor behind the seat backs. With our chosen design we have a stand up area ~6ft long and ~5ft wide which is plenty with our layout.

One thing, and i've got to get picks up on the upper storage areas in ours... We had them keep the roof area above the cab in tact and also from the rear doors to the first rib on the RB. These create two areas about 3 feet deep and ~20" high for storage use. In back we keep our two carry-on sized duffles and in from we have three plastic cabinets we keep personal items, towels, etc.

Here is a link to an image showing the rear shelf before headliner/carpet was installed. the shelf is the white-old-exterior-roof area.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote