Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Homebuild alternative

Cruising the old VW forums, which I do for nostalgia's sake, I came across this reference:

http://www.rvtec-camperinteriors.com/

Looked them up and really liked what I saw. They only advertise as VW van suppliers but I thought the range was broad enough that they might have something that could worked for an RB Ford. So, I called.

Turns out they are an English couple who had a business in the UK doing complete van interiors and decided to move to the states. They have only been here 6 weeks and are still settling in but clearly they make nice very interiors. They had no idea about the size of the van market other than VW's but are willing to look at it. Prices are reasonable, they use plywood and good quality fittings and the end product looks integrated and factory fit.

I'm going to send them my floor measurements and see if they can come up with something for me. And no, I am in no way affiliated with them, just got excited to find a great looking alternative to what's out there now.

witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
cwc

Re: Homebuild alternative

Their products look very nice, but it would be nice to see the products in person. I would be very interested in their response to your request.
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #3

I don't want to expect too much, but after talking to them I have a pretty good feeling about what they do. These kits have been available in Europe for various vans for years. I've seen them and often wondered why no-one here does this, even thought about it myself but it's not really my thing.

Basically it's Ikea furniture for your van. If you can't go to their shop in Florida, you order the kit and get a flat pack that you assemble and install. I do know a bit about woodwork and materials and after talking to the owner, it's pretty clear he does too. Just the fact that they use high quality plywood with both faces laminated rather than MDf tells you something. They also use SMEV stoves and sinks and they are really nice.

They have a few kits for the VW Eurovan and it sound as if one of those might fit in well. Having literally moved to the USA 6 weeks ago I suspect it might be a bit of time before they settle in to figure out something that's outside their normal range but I did send them all the measurements and some fotos, along with a link to the Ford van builders spec sheet and I will post as soon as I hear anything.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Not the same people but years ago I saw a "sportsmobile like" kit advertised on eBay for the Sprinter vans. It wasn't a copy of SMB templates, but was the same basic idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
cwc

Thanks for the additional comments. I have been studying the forum and am trying to plan my first Sportsmobile-like vehicle. It is good to know what interior options might exist in the future.
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote