Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #31

Homebuild under van propane tank?

Thx Dave, still considering my options here, but will have to decide soon, new build about to start.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #32

Re: Homebuild under van propane tank?

pulling the trigger on a Suburban NT-20se furnace tomorrow, now that I think I've found the right price. This is a 19000btu direct discharge furnace, $450. I'd love a Propex but I'm going for the cheapest NEW (as in warrantied) one I can find, and this is still one of the bigger costs for my build.
Then I will finally have a reason to figure out my propane tank solution!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #33

I went through this same decision process very recently, and ended up with a used Westfalia tank (made by Manchester), similar to this:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2447

While I have a Land Cruiser conversion, not a van, the mounting is similar. I am moving the spare tire from under the rear of the vehicle to a bumper mount, which frees up a lot of space to mount a water tank and propane tank between the rear frame rails. The water tank will take the forward spot (closest to the rear axel) and the propane tank will be in the rear. The fill ports are fairly low on the side of the tank, so they will be just below the bottom lip of the rear bumper (and protected by a skid plate). My friends with Westies have had no problem having there under body mounted propane tanks filled, so I don't think this is a big concern. These tanks are possibly a little on the small side (3.5 Gal), but it seems that you can get 4-5 nights with a propex and cooking out of a fill, which isn't horrible. If you are going out for longer, the extend-a-stay adapter and BBQ tanks are an option.

One question - we generally like to cook outside our vehicle (and have the stove mounted to a removable kitchen box) - does anyone know of a good quick disconnect propane fittings we could mount to the outside of the vehicle to plug our stove into when cooking outside? I could also mount one inside for when we do want to cook inside.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #34

Homebuild under van propane tank?

Thanks Rando.
My local propane place has the quick connects for standard fittings, about $30 I think.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #35

Well, I bought an Atwood Everestar instead, black grill direct discharge small furnace. Panther RV is a great place for deals on van,truck camper, small RV type of stuff (shameless plug). I've just ordered several things from them including this funace.
Also, finally got by the propane place in my town and was pleasantly surprised to find they have everything I need to do this, and good prices too. Plus the guy who owns the place is kind of a smart ass, but a nice guy. Both qualities I admire.
Looks like the plan for now is going to be to run a line inside the van from the furnace back to the right corner and drop it through the floor to a quick connect, and connect my barbecue-grill-in-a-milkcrate to that when I'm using it. All I need is the line, regulator, and quick connect. I still have plans to build an under floor tank rack somewhere, but I'm waiting on that Craigslist deal on the right tank to pop up. For now I'll store my tank on my hideously gaudy rear rack, with most of my other worldly belongings.
Pics of my new build to follow
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #36

Since you said "tank" and "pop" in the same sentence, I'm now a little worried about the texter that taps your tank on the rear rack at about 20 or so mph. Thoughts?
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #37
Site Team

Garage

Well mine is in the super strong Aluminess storage box so I guess I'm safe Besides I have a bumper sticker that says " This vehicle makes frequent stops, and if you hit me you'll blow up"

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #38

Send me one of them stickers. 'Cept the texters ain't gonna be readin' no stickers just before impact.

all kiddin' aside, your box is much higher than a Camry bumper, while a rear carrier is juuuust right.
Now me, I've got a big ol' (17 years ol') tank about right under my @ss on the outside of the frame in one of them super strong SMB propane tank flaps, so I'm real safe.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Since you said "tank" and "pop" in the same sentence, I'm now a little worried about the texter that taps your tank on the rear rack at about 20 or so mph. Thoughts?
I don't love it either, but there isn't really anywhere that's really safe. My rack is pretty stout and way behind the passengers though, so at some point you've just got to go with it. I certainly ain't putting it on the roof!!!!