Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

house battery recommendations

Hi All
So I have a 03 7.3 e350. I found a extra battery box and mounted it next to the second battery under the barn doors. Look for advise on an affordable battery to use for a house battery that would fit that. The only thing it will be powering is a dometic 50 cfx fridge with a draw of about 0.77 Ah/h most our trips to date have not been more then 4 days stationary without driving to recharge.

Thanks in advance

surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

surferdave - If you want a Lifeline battery I can get you one in Costa Mesa. Not necessarily "affordable" but they are very good batteries. Whatever you get should be AGM to handle Deep Cycle.

Grp 65 will be about 65Ah (Pep Boys online when on sale about $195)
Grp 27 about 100Ah
Grp 31 about 105 to 110 Ah

The battery box you picked up, if it is a match to what you have, will pretty much only handle a Group 65. Some have said they can fit a Group 27, but I have not had success with that. You can modify the box to accept a Group 31 (or Group 27) by cutting out the face and allowing space for the battery. The AGM's can mount on their sides so that is beneficial.

You say your fridge is only drawing .77ah - that seems very low for an average on/off net draw per hour. Normally they are closer to 2 to 2.5 effective ???

Even if your .77 is correct you are looking at 20Ah/day. Using the 50% limit for draw down, you are at 2 days for the Grp 27 or 31.

Are you considering Solar??
Old 07-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

There's a sale at Northern AZ Wind & Power on lithiums if you want to go that route; use coupon code JULY10