Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Site Team

HowTo install mud flaps - Ford van - 2WD

My main build thread has gotten so long I have a hard time finding my own postings. Thought I'd break out some info into separate threads

Here's a little HowTo.
This applies to 2wd.
The install instructions say to park on level surface and measure the guards from the ground up. Unfortunately here in WV it's a bit hilly so I had to come up with my own instructions.

Pro-Fit Truck Splash Guards - Model #6
I had no prior experience with this brand but the web site listed them as fitting Ford vans and at only around $25 a pair I thought I'd chance it.
Pro-Fit company web page

Comes with two guards and 8 screws.

Park the van so that it's level inside.

Since the front wheel is so close to the mounted mud guard you have to turn the wheel as far as it will go and remove the hub cap to get enough room to work.

Rear wheels are OK as is.

Before you can put in the first screw you have to position the mud guard. There are three different adjustments that need to be done.
1. The guards have a lip that fits against the corner of the wheel well.

The plastic is stiff so you have to push in hard so it fits tight against the van.

Below the bottom edge of the lip is accordeon like folds. Don't confuse them with what I consider the bottom edge of the lip.

2. While holding the guard tight against the van slide it up and down until the bottom of the lip is even with the bottom of the rear quarter panel. You can feel when it's lined up. the reason you'll be relying on your sense of touch to line up the bottom is because at the same time you're trying to get the next adjustment right.

3. You''ll want the guard to be perpendicular to the body of the van. With the front wheel wells you'll just have to make a good guess since the tire is at an angle. With the rear guards you can use the tire as a guide. Parallel to the tire = perpendicular to the body.
Not parallel:

Parallel:

When the you have the guard tight against the van the ridged plastic of the lip will act like a spring and make the guard difficult to hold in one place. It keeps wanting to slip around so once you have all the adjustments just right mark it with a pencil line.

With the guard in position use a 1/8" drill bit to make a top hole through both the guard and the metal of the wheel well then use a 5/16" bit to enlarge the hole in just the plastic guard.

Screw in just the top screw but don't tighten it all the way.

With the top screw acting as a pivot point hold a small level against the guard's bottom edge. Rotate back and forth until level.
(The level's level but the camera isn't.)

Holding the guard level drill a second hole then set the second screw. This will hold the guard in place while you finish with the last two screws. With the rear tire you'll need a socket set with a phillips bit since it's such a tight fit. With the wheel in the way you'll have to drill the bottom holes at an angle but with care you can insert the screws and then tighten then down so the head is flat.

All done in the back.

And front.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Re: HowTo install mud flaps - Ford van - 2WD

Great post. Thanks. this has been on my list.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #3

Why can't I do this to my 4wd van? I feel so left out.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Why can't I do this to my 4wd van? I feel so left out.

Mike

Me too
Need a solution for Utah and Bushwackers

Maybe we have to go to West Virginia for install
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote