Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Thanks, that's helpful. It would be fun to come up with a bypass system using a simple electric solenoid-controlled mechanical diverter valve. Watch the temp gauge; if it starts running cold, flip the switch and bypass. That's more points of failure than carringb's "cover the grill" approach, but it would be cool.
Ya, I didn't need it because the 5R110 has a built-in thermostat. Sounds like you have something different.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #22

Nomadcat and Glider, a simple way to get a tranny temp gauge is just to run a Scangauge II via your OBDII port, which will give you lots of other good info anyway. Some have argued they aren't completely accurate on tranny temp but to me exact temp doesn't matter. What you want is to be able to monitor when it's rising and/or high and react accordingly. After you drive with one awhile you won't leave home without it and you'll know the norms of your transmission.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanGauge-Aut...ds=scangauge+2

If you don't tow a trailer I'd skip the aftermarket cooler until you run one of these awhile and gauge temps. Chances are that an extra cooler is overkill for a properly cared for tranny.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Another piece of low hanging fruit might be your roof rack Hard to tell but it looks like steel? There are much nicer aluminum racks on the market, including those with slats and what not for standing or photography. Could easily save 100lb or more of relatively expensive fruit to pick.
It's an Aluminess rack. It does have a solar panel on it, but that's one thing I'm leaving on. I use it as a photo platform sometimes.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I think you're fine. There are lots of service vans on the road that are heavily loaded and constantly pulling trailers, lots more with the 5.4/4r75e combo than diesel or v10 by far I'd say. I think you're probably just a bit paranoid since it just pooped on you, which is understandable. In my opinion you'd have to drop thousands of lbs. to make a difference to the tranny. If it's in good shape and being maintained (which yours no doubt is for many miles to come) I'd just keep rolling. You'll get more comfortable with it.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice and pep talk. I am probably more than a bit paranoid. I listen to hard. When I used to have a Jeep Wagoneer and was on the Full Size Jeep forums back in the 90s, the running joke was "how do you fix most engine problems?" and the answer was "turn up the radio." I'll try to just live with it. It did serve me well till 100K. That's when the flex plate cracked. the tranny croaked 15K miles later.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Nomadcat and Glider, a simple way to get a tranny temp gauge is just to run a Scangauge II via your OBDII port, which will give you lots of other good info anyway.
..or any number of other similar OBDII gizmos like Bullydog, etc.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post

I bought mine from Ebay for $110 shipped...looks like the seller now sells them for $129 shipped

Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW Transmission Oil Cooler OC-4739-1 Low Pressure Drop | eBay

Finding fittings to go from 3/8" inverted flare to 1/2" barb was a PITA....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
..or any number of other similar OBDII gizmos like Bullydog, etc.
Looks like an OBDII scanner is going to be my next toy.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote