Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #31

Steel, good sir.

Scotty, I hear you - I almost went the same route in terms of running a diesel in a gasser but ultimately decided to "go for it" on the petrol espar. I will report back as soon as it's been put to the test... after reading all of the "my espar stopped working" nightmarish threads I plan to run it on full blast once a month and clean/replace glow plug/carbon build up yearly.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #32

1der suggested in another thread that when you do use it, make sure to run it full blast for a couple minutes before shutting it down.

My B4 works great and keeps the van very comfy. I have had it down to 24F with the top up and kids were warm up in the bunk. If you can plumb in a couple vent outlets in strategic spots you will get a nice effect. I have one back over the bench bed and one coming from under the bench seat.

Something is funny with my temp sensor. Gotta check that out. It's either in a bad spot or defaulting back to the internal sensor in the heater because I have it wired wrong.

I too thought long and hard about adding a diesel fuel tank and just using the D2 which has a great price point. End of the day I said screw it and put in the B4 and tapped into the drain plug on my Aero tank. If I ever need to drop the tank, I will for sure install the regular tank pickup.

Did you get the B1LC or the B4??
Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #33

Noted on the "full blast before shut down" procedure - I'm liable to end up posting "heater instructions" next to the controller just so all van occupants are aware

And I like the concept of having multiple vent outlets, maybe one fore and one aft. Haven't started casework construction yet so I could potentially work that in.

And I purchased a B4, High altitude kit was a necessity and it seems the B1LC is slightly older technology/being phased out? This is all me hypothesizing based solely on what I've gleaned from internet research, I have not consulted or verified with an Espar representative...

The output of the B4 seems like it might be overkill for the volume. Admittedly, I did not do very precise calculations before purchasing. Shame on me. Time will tell but I'm expecting to have windows and fantastic fan cracked when the heater is running, as long as it's not dumping snow.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Something is funny with my temp sensor. Gotta check that out. It's either in a bad spot or defaulting back to the internal sensor in the heater because I have it wired wrong.
I should be making the electrical connections in 1-2 weeks so I will be sure to document the temp sensor wiring (assuming I get it right...) and get back to you.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #35

Any news Apache on your installation and how it is performing?
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #36

We just installed an Airtronic B4 in our Transit. Works great! Heats the space very quickly and had no problem keeping us warm all night. Installation was simple but the wiring diagrams kinda suck and I had to trace a few wires to figure out what was going on in the harness that was sent with ours.

Installing three more of them in customer vans over the next couple weeks too.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #37

I am very happy to see the gas versions of the Espar are catching on! Way to go Mike!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #38

Nice. My next project I want to make a tube that I can run from a vent right up into the pop top. Plenty warm down below.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Nice. My next project I want to make a tube that I can run from a vent right up into the pop top. Plenty warm down below.
I installed one of these the other day. The tube is stored inside the pipe until you need it, then you pull it out and put the heat where ever you want it. In my case, it goes directly into Mrs A/Ts sleeping bag before bed time, no more cold sleeping bag.

3" Stoker Tube with Rotating Adjustable Louver - AMC Cliffv's Marine Service
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #40

How do I resist making a junior high joke about the above post? I typed it out 2-3 times and then just gave up. Anyway, thanks for the laugh.

OK, maybe just a small sample.....Have any video of that?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, espar d2, heat, heater, install