Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Installing Quigley front axle on non-Quigley 7.3 E350

Hi all.
I purchased some Quigley take-off parts from a member who was doing a Ujoint conversion on his 2003 7.3 E350. I picked up the front axle with coils, control arms, frame brackets (minus trackbar bracket), and shocks. I finally got around to installing everything on my 1996 7.3 2WD E350 but have run into a problem and am looking for some advice. The issue is that the top of the front diff is hitting the engine cross member while the vehicle is sitting on the ground.

Does anyone know if Quigley used a different engine cross member for their conversions? Maybe one out of an F-truck?

Looking at my options I could either modify my cross member for clearance and gusset whatever it needed for support and strength, lift the frame using whatever taller springs, spacers, etc i can come up with which might involve making new control arm to frame brackets to keep those angles right (the track bar bracket attaches to the cross member but I was going to make that anyway), or see if Quigley did use a different cross member and see if i can get one of those. And yeah I know about the Ujoint option and am most likely going to go that route on a future van but not on this one.

I appreciate the help!
Tim

teedublya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Wow. I just found this photo from the member's gallery showing the axle I am installing as it sat under his van.

Obviously the cross member is different from mine.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Garage
I just took some pictures of my Quigley. The original crossmember is cut and reinforced. QuadVan also modifies the crossmember ands a reinforcement to it.
Attached Thumbnails
20160517_174941.jpg   20160517_174932.jpg   20160517_174920.jpg  

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Exactly. quig just cut the original and reinforced it. I have a quigley with no body sitting in my shop, Ill get you some pics if you like.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

Cut it! For this rig I would brace it just like Quigley or Quadvan does.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the help guys!
I went ahead and cut out as little as possible for everything to clear. I don't really see where quigley reinforced the cross member from the photos so, yeah expeditionnw, if you wouldn't mind posting a couple of photos showing any bracing specifically it would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Tim
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #7

Apologies for the delay. This is a 1992 quigley: It looks like they removed the front lip flush, and added the same depth of material removed to the top side.

Here is a shot from the front. Bear in mind, this fame has no body on it, so your clearance will vary.

Here is a shot looking from drivers side fender well. Note the steering box:

Same location close in:

expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote