Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

My solution is some cheap camping insulation ground pads. Just need a pair of scissors to make, they hold in place by the spongy effect, thin and store flat, and make a comfortable seat cushion around the camp fire.

dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #12

Some great ideas here for a more permanent solution. I just came home from Lowes today with a roll of the refletix so I can make at least a temporary barrier for my windows. I've got 2 trips coming up this month where I'll be camping out in the desert where the night time temps will be somewhere in the high 30's to low 40's.

I know for some of you that's not cold. However, being born & raised in So Cal I'm convinced I'll get frost bite if the temps get much below 50.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I'm inclined to share an alternative to consider:
The reflective sun shades that drape across the interior of the front windows WILL reduce the heat factor some, BUT...the sun beats down on the windshield as it enters and then is reflected back onto the interior of the windshield - this heats it even more. This heat generated rises and still enters the cabin. Using one of those reflective sun visors, I've actually burned my fingers touching the inside of the windshield - have even had the rear-view mirror fall off once. Try it sometime - just touch the inside of the windshield when you've had the reflective screen up for a while.
***A considerably better solution to combat exterior elements is a cover/sunshade across the outside of the front windshield. Can find these at the SM Store, Ebay/Amazon, or a web search.
Granted, they take an additional minute or two to deploy, but make a huge difference.
I made a sunshade like this for the windshield and front side windows. It works amazingly well. An additional advantage is we can still see through the windows to the outside so the van doesn't seem closed in. And we can roll down the side windows to allow some air movement.

I think I got this link right?
What did you do to your SMB today? - Page 271 - Sportsmobile Forum

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #14

Personally, I am very happy with my recent purchase of a Weathertech 3-piece front set. TS0092K1 is the part number for a 2006 E350. Side window shades fit snug with no Velcro or magnets. Just press in. Front fits similarly and is held in by folding down the visors. Silver on one side and black on the other (black supposedly helps heat in cold weather). Well worth the $125 or so.
kevinhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
Thanks for the link. This might work. How's the thickness? I've been using a home-made sun shade I created from Reflectix many years ago. As time has gone by it's gotten worn and the silver coating is flaking off a bit. It was never a perfect fit to begin with, though not bad. I've thought of trying to cover it with fabric but my sewing skills are non-existent.
These are thicker than most I've seen, maybe twice what Reflectix is? Its quite "stiff" meaning its not flimsy or prone to droop out of place when installed with the visors holding it. I does roll up small enough to fit in a lot of places, its height becoming the only real issue of what to stow it. It's maybe 30" long?

I have one that's over 6 years old and apart from my own damage its held up very, very well. The reflective part is still 100% intact, no signs of it wearing off or flaking away. These are bound on the edges so the layers aren't exposed to handling damages, they don't come loose even without the sewn-in binding.

The Weathertech stuff looks almost exactly like what's in my link---that they have side window pieces too is nice. I've made those from a Reflectix-type insulation which is easily compressed so fits between the door shell and body. Those are also easily stowed when not in use.

Lots of choices here---what to do, what to do?

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #16

We are working on Solutions for ALL the Econoline Van Window coverings needs

By Monday we will have the front windshield and driver / passenger Window Covers on the website similar to these links

https://overlandgearguy.com/collecti...cover-sprinter

https://overlandgearguy.com/collecti...-window-covers

and next week, we will be working on the other windows.

All our Window Coverings are Not Just Privacy, they are insulated and made from the finest material around, we have been manufacturing in the USA Since 1990 and All our products have a Lifetime Warranty.

We do offer Custom Sewing Services ;-)

http://Instagram.com/OverlandGearGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoTerryh View Post
Overland Gear Guy's website only shows the rear door window covers. https://overlandgearguy.com/search?q=e350

I'm interested in something similar, but for the front windshield, plus these say they are for the E350. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't these more accurately be described as being for the Ford Econoline, not just the E350? Aren't the window sizes the same?

Maybe Overland Gear Guy can weigh in.

Utah
OverlandGearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #17

Just received your recovery bag.

Top quality fair priced. Stoked, thanks

When will you have your front windshield shades available. For a 2016 sprinter.
Vailcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #18

The Transit that is “sale pending” has the HeatShield reflective window shades. The material is a high grade reflective Mylar (feels very durable) that is laminated to a thin layer of foam and then the foam is laminated to a piece of rollable plastic sheet. The plastic sheet is white. The overall piece has some stiffness but can be rolled.

Covercraft is another manufacturer that seems to use this material and their website says it is “patented”.

Is this type of material available in bulk? If so, where?
Thxs!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #19

I'm interested in a front windshield cover, but a bit concerned about how large it is when not in use as I have a very limited amount of storage space.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm interested in a front windshield cover, but a bit concerned about how large it is when not in use as I have a very limited amount of storage space.
I had one of the almond colored ones which came from Sportsmobile. The outfit that replaced all my interior leather used it as a template and made a custom outside windshield cover for me. Used black Sunbrella fabric on the outside, a layer of reflective fabric under that (same stuff they use on ironing boards), then finished with a layer of wet-suit material - they sewed it all together. Fits like a glove. Covers front windshield & both side windows. Rolls up to about 14" x 6
Here is a picture of what it looks like (wrinkles are because I had just unrolled and installed it) - in direct sunlight the windshield becomes just "warm" underneath, a heck of lot better performance than the interior reflective sunshades I had been using.