Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Insulating e350 passenger van

Hi all,
After years of borrowing my dads SMB I finally bought a van of my own. Just started converting a 2006 e350 passanger van eb and have seen many different opinions about insulating between the double walls. Spray foam and fiberglass seem to be frowned upon for builds but I can't think of anything else to fit in the tight, hard to access, cavitiy.
I mainly plan on using the van mainly as a weekender but plan on spending time in the snow and would love to stay as warm as posdible without running heater all the time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

DillyWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #2

Why would you go and buy your own van if you have a SMB readily available to borrow? Like a boat and a swimming pool, the only better than owning a van is having a friend/relative you can mooch one off of! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:44 AM   #3

You may want to consider thinsulate. Easy to stuff in nooks and crannies.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

I went with UltraTouch rolls from Home Depot or Lowes. Non-reflective pads trimmed from the roll for the spaces between door cavities and the walls right under the windows, those I sprayed 3M adhesive to stick and followed with Tyvek paper. For the interior roof I used the water heater blanket from UltraTouch, relective backing and 2" thick, went with 18"x 18" overlapped sections so it wouldn't sag, also 3M sprayed adhesive. The floor and external roof I used Chassis Saver as my first set of coats and Monstaliner as final; after that I also placed sound deadening material on the floor and wheelwells.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

I'm building out a 2005 Ford E350 currently. Used 1 " hard cell foam on the floor with 1/4" plywood over top and laminate on top of that.. haven't glued it down yet, still debating between 3M 90 and silicone...couldn't redily get hardcast 12 gauge insulation stick pins that have adhesive on one side and soft enough to fold over excess (good for walls and ceiling). For irregular spaces/cavities, I used rock/mineral wool. Not same dangers as fiberglass (still wear gloves and a mask), easy to work with, and an R-value of 3.5 if you don't compress it. Pretty affordable too, just have to seal over it after with plastic sheeting and then cover with finish layer (cedar planning, etc..)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180909_204252_747.jpg  
DustDevil2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^^ If I might make an observation.........

Your seams in the plywood and insulation seem to be right on top of one another---that's something you may want to reconsider before making all this "permanent". I know it would involve potentially using more material but the end result would be better in the longer term.

The seams should run at right angles to one another, plywood vs insulation.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Insulating e350 passenger van

Dustdevil-I’d have to agree about the seams. I hope you take this constructively and don’t feel like we’re raining on your progress or discourages you in any way from posting here or otherwise...really! Just trying to be helpful, and save you lots of potential aggravation later on.
There’s lots of ways to go about staging floors, and lots of threads found on the forum, I just did my flooring and used Vantred from Bedrug, comes precut and was able to use it as a template for the ply.
I’m in the final stages of my (re)build found here for reference if you’re interested......
My big fat interior (re)build
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t
The other thing I’d point to is where your seams are landing. It’s best to try to get them pushed to a side or under where your cabs are going to go, away from the middle of the floor or high traffic area, as seams are the weak point and can sometimes show through. And one more thing, sorry...I considered using rigid foam for my floor as well, but decided not to for several reasons. The big one being the squeak factor with rigid foam sandwiched between wood and metal. It may be fine once glued and screwed but I didn’t want to take the chance after everything was installed, would have driven me nuts. Everything begins by giving it a solid foundation.....no wonder I’m so screwed up!
Best of luck with the buildout.
Sorry to hi-jack Dilly, but this pertains to you too, check out my thread for insulation.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #8

Good point. I may adjust that where I expect a lot of traffic, but don't expect an issue under bed area etc.. thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #9

Dustdevil: Is the floor squishy with 1/4" ply over the rigid foam?? Curious....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

Nope, solid and I don't notice squeaking. I bet you could put some other squishy materials (reflectix?) Under plywood for added sound deadening but seems fine the way it is.