Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #1

insurance

I have a Quigley 4x4, a CCV top and homebuilt interior with a reconstructed title that I'm having trouble getting insurance on, does anyone else have similar issues or any suggestions where I might go?

thanks.

Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Which part is giving you the issue? The build out or the reconstructed title? People have had a hard time with both. I would seek out a “stated value” policy where you agree on a replacement cost with the insurance company.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #3

Sometimes it’s one thing, sometimes the other, sometimes both. I’ll try that approach, if I can keep them on the line that long. After talking w A LOT of insurance companies it seems campervans are falling out of favor for some reason, homebuilt or not. Considering how many are out there these days, it seems crazy to me. I’m open to any and all suggestions.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

AAA For me at Stated Value. But MY title has always been Clear and I am the only Owner since it rolled off the line.. But Do call AAA and Ask them.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

I'm also liking into this and would like to change my E350's title to a Class B RV. Has anyone converted a title in Colorado?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #6

I suggest your insurance problem is the result of the "Reconstructed Title" your vehicle has and not the type of van it is.

Many insurers will only insure a vehicle with a "Reconstructed Title" for Liability coverage only. You are not going to find any insurer that will give you a "Stated Value or Agreed Value" policy on a vehicle with a "Recon" title do to your vehicles previous Salvage History, current "Recon" title and therefore your vehicles "Diminished Value".

Typically vehicles with a "Recon" title are valued in the used vehicle market anywhere from 30%-50% LESS than a identical make/model vehicle in identical condition and mileage than a vehicle with a GOOD clean title. Like it or not that's just the way the market is for a used vehicle with a "Recon" title no matter how nice it is!

Resolving your insurance issue may hinge on your potential desire to have full "Comp and Collision" coverage on your rig. You might be better off to self insure for the physical damage portion of your coverage and just apply for Liability insurance coverage ONLY to resolve your current vehicle insurance problems.

Once you have Liability insurance coverage with a carrier you might try to add "Comp and Collision" coverage at your 6 month or yearly renewal. Ya never know that might work if you wish to have those additional coverages on your policy.

Another issue that may result is if you have a loan and therefore owe money on your "Recon" vehicle the lender will surely require full coverage insurance. THIS is the "Catch 22" for all vehicles with a "Recon" title and a vehicle loan. The lender may still loan you money to buy the "Recon" title vehicle however YOU might not be able to meet your contractual responsibility of properly insuring the vehicle with Full Coverage Insurance as specified in the loan documents you signed when you borrowed the money to purchase the van IF you purchased the van using some amount of borrowed money.

Just some suggestions you might consider that may help!

Drive Safely!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #7

Thanks for your input. The problem seems to be that it’s both a recon title and a conversion. Some insurers will do one and some the other but I’m having a hard time finding one that will do both. The bummer is that the van is super clean and only has about 35000 on it. I’m starting to think about stripping it and starting over, what a waste.