Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Intro / Hello

This forum is a neat little nook of cyberspace and I have been thoroughly enjoying the build threads. About 4 weeks ago I flew down to San Diego from the NW to pick up this van for a DIY project. Its an 03 Q4x4 7.3. The floor has rubber mat and the interior has insulation and panels already installed.

I'm not sure exactly whats going to happen with the build, It may just be an ongoing evolution. So far I have only identified a couple design constraints. The main one being a 7.5 foot height restriction on Wa state ferries. Trying to cut my weekend ferry bill down from $90 to under $30. The other main thing I want to do is keep the MPG's up. I averaged 18.8 at 65mph on the drive home. So I'll stay with mild tires and keep the overall rig as light and aerodynamic as possible.

To bad the reflection of the tree and grass isn't a graphic on the side.

Smore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #2

Re: Intro / Hello

Dig the color. Have fun with it
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #3

Your gearing is right on. Where is NW?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChad
Your gearing is right on. Where is NW?
Seattle, Washington
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Nice rig. Great place to start. Go Seahawks! (when we ever get football back)
time2mtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #6

GGGGGGG-Men....
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Garage

Nice rig! If you want to regain height clearance, remove that rack. You probably have enough storage space inside.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #8

Hi,
This got me thinking. Do you know how they measure the length and height?
I think mine (20'4" long, and 7' 5.5 inch tall) will be either $45 or $135 depending on how strict they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smore
This forum is a neat little nook of cyberspace and I have been thoroughly enjoying the build threads. About 4 weeks ago I flew down to San Diego from the NW to pick up this van for a DIY project. Its an 03 Q4x4 7.3. The floor has rubber mat and the interior has insulation and panels already installed.

I'm not sure exactly whats going to happen with the build, It may just be an ongoing evolution. So far I have only identified a couple design constraints. The main one being a 7.5 foot height restriction on Wa state ferries. Trying to cut my weekend ferry bill down from $90 to under $30. The other main thing I want to do is keep the MPG's up. I averaged 18.8 at 65mph on the drive home. So I'll stay with mild tires and keep the overall rig as light and aerodynamic as possible.

To bad the reflection of the tree and grass isn't a graphic on the side.
ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #9

It depends on the person sitting in the booth. They can eyeball your rig for length with a couple painted lines on the ground and a height sign. If you want to dispute it, they will get one of those measuring wheels on a stick for length and they have an L shaped pole gage they will use to check height. The ferry system is hurting for money so I think the collectors are instructed to get the most possible.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #10

I took my SMB to Orcas Island via a ferry ride and not surprisingly, i was charged for under 20ft vehicle. (no oversize fee at all for either length or height), but was put on the main deck.
Being on the main deck it was super quick to in and out but I had to wait for the rest of crews in other vehicles to unload from the upper deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smore
It depends on the person sitting in the booth. They can eyeball your rig for length with a couple painted lines on the ground and a height sign. If you want to dispute it, they will get one of those measuring wheels on a stick for length and they have an L shaped pole gage they will use to check height. The ferry system is hurting for money so I think the collectors are instructed to get the most possible.
ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote