Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastBlackE350 View Post
Buffalo (Chris) and NRobert10 (Rob) came over to check out the new top last night . They both liked it a lot. Full time standing room is pretty amazing... Both seem eager to convert from pop-top to fixed-top.

I'm deep into "Analysis Paralysis" researching insulation and electrical. Trying to keep it simple but future proofing has me locked up good...

Current insulation plan: Ensure plenty of paint on all metal surfaces followed by a radiant barrier like Attic-Foil then half inch Rmax R-Matte Plus-3 Polyiso. Will double sheet this on the ceiling and use baffle insulation everywhere else I can stuff it.

Wiring plan needs all my attention now... Need vs. Want segregation time..

Lyall
Please let me know if you ever come up to Vancouver! I would love to check out your rig. Did your van have rear A/C? If so what did you do with it?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #22

Cyrull have you looked at TUFPORT tops they are in BC just south of Vancouver. They make a hightop for the E series. I emailed them through there website once but never got a response.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Cyrull have you looked at TUFPORT tops they are in BC just south of Vancouver. They make a hightop for the E series. I emailed them through there website once but never got a response.
Yes I have, in fact they are likely my choice for a high top since they about a 20 minute drive from me. They sent me a brochure and pricing for the unit with install costs.

Just thinking about what extras I want to do before pulling the trigger on one.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Yes I have, in fact they are likely my choice for a high top since they about a 20 minute drive from me. They sent me a brochure and pricing for the unit with install costs.

Just thinking about what extras I want to do before pulling the trigger on one.
Can you share their pricing?
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
Can you share their pricing?
Attached the material they sent to me. Price is in CDN, tax here is 13%

I'm looking at the Deluxe RB with 2 windows and a Maxx Fan + Install which comes to about $6500.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Van Conversion Roof Price List 2019.pdf (198.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf TUF-Van_Conversion EMAIL.pdf (309.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #26

For those of you who have installed a fixed top yourself...what is the method for attaching it to your van? Adhesive and screws/bolts?

I really want a high top and would love to get one. I have toyed with the idea of finding one from a junkyard and installing it myself but the task of installing it seems daunting. I would love to drive to Cali and have one installed at Fiberine but that's a long haul from Indiana.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgils View Post
I would love to drive to Cali and have one installed at Fiberine but that's a long haul from Indiana.

Have you checked with SMB in Indiana to see if they still install tops? Worth an email.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Have you checked with SMB in Indiana to see if they still install tops? Worth an email.

I called them to see if they installed pop-tops last year. Once Ford stopped producing the Econoline, they sent all of their tooling/equipment for the ford vans to SMB West.

I supposed I could call/email about a fixed height top but one would assume, no.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #29

Garage
I looked into Tufport as well, a bit more $$ than Fiberine after delivery to a local truck canopy shop that carries their canopy's. I liked the 24" Fiberine best anyway.

For those asking about how the top is attached, this is their reverse flange version. Combination of sheet metal screws and bolts into half inch OSB board on the tops flange. Lots of waterproof sealant & caulking as well.

Here's a picture, not pretty but functional...
Attached Thumbnails
20190315_112622.jpg  
LastBlackE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #30

I chose Fiberine to do my my top based on overall cosmetic design. I liked the way it blends in with the Econolines body lines.

Fiberines 24 " top is about as aerodynamic as is gets with a high top this size. Their product is good, expensive, and they did my install in about 6 hrs. They even dropped me off down at the beach in Long beach at the Queen Mary and aquarium, and picked me up when the top installation was finished.

The top surface of the 24 inch is not flat. The is a hump in the center that makes it a little tricky if you want to install a rack or solar panels.
Attached Thumbnails
20170618_080757.jpg   20170630_110233.jpg  
46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote